From: BrianG on
Nasser M. Abbasi wrote:
> On 7/13/2010 12:05 PM, Pascal Obry wrote:
>

>> 6. Great readability (e.g., begin/end instead of curly braces)
>>

> fyi, the new kid on the block (F#) has done away all together of the
> curly braces and begin. Like Python as well.
>
> These languages use space indentation as part of the logic of the
> program. The idea is that less "clutter" improves readability.
>
> From MS web site om F#
>
> "The lightweight syntax is shorter and uses indentation to signal the
> beginning and end of constructs, rather than additional keywords like
> begin, end, in, and so on"
>
> From Python web site:
>
> "Python functions have no explicit begin or end, and no curly braces to
> mark where the function code starts and stops."
>
> I am still not sure which is better. Using an explicit BEGIN END or
> space indentation.
>
> --Nasser

I've always wondered - what would these languages do with a program the
has a mix of space-for-indent and tab-for-indent? Assuming that can
even happen.

I'm constantly running into these, because of different people editing
using different editors. Usually it's someone else's, where they didn't
notice that the published final code looks terrible (obviously not in
Python).

Is F# a version of Fortran for .Net? :-) (Like A#.) Or is it Forth?
From: Britt Snodgrass on
On Jul 13, 8:12 pm, BrianG <briang...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I've always wondered - what would these languages do with a program the
> has a mix of space-for-indent and tab-for-indent?  Assuming that can
> even happen.
>
> I'm constantly running into these, because of different people editing
> using different editors.  Usually it's someone else's, where they didn't
> notice that the published final code looks terrible (obviously not in
> Python).

With GNAT and the -gnatyh switch, the compiler will issue a warning if
it encounters tabs in source code. Our coding standard "requires"
users to set the "convert tabs to spaces" and the "trim trailing
spaces" settings in whatever editor they use (usually GPS, GNATbench,
or UltraEdit)

We also use the ASIS based gnatcheck (coding standard checker) and
gnatpp (pretty printer) to check and standardize source code format
for our Ada projects. I suspect other languages don't have such good
utilities since they have no equivalent to ASIS (that I'm aware of).

> Is F# a version of Fortran for .Net?  :-)  (Like A#.)  Or is it Forth?

Neither. It seems to be Microsoft's attempt at yet another functional
language (YAFL).

- Britt

From: Shark8 on

> Neither. It seems to be Microsoft's attempt at yet another functional
> language (YAFL).

Don't they have a LISP for .NET? How about Scheme which, as I
understand it, is basically a LISP-decedent/varient developed in
response to Common Lisp (which, IIRC, had the commonality of
alienating large portions of particular-implementation-X for all
implementations).
From: usenet on
On Jul 8, 5:52 pm, use...(a)scriptoriumdesigns.com wrote:
> Serious question:  What do you consider the N best things / strong
> points / biggest benefits of using Ada?  I'm asking as part of my case-
> building for using Ada at work.  Of course I have my own list, but I
> don't have anywhere near the Ada experience of most of you folks.
>
> Thanks.

Thanks to all for the comments. You covered many points that I had
long considered benefits (and so...darn...nice!), and some that I
hadn't really thought about.

From: Georg Bauhaus on
On 7/13/10 7:51 PM, Jeffrey R. Carter wrote:

> I remember watching the videos of the "Ada Launch" (Ada 80, 1980 Dec 10)
> and Barnes presenting a generic discrete (bit-mapped) set package. That
> was quite a revelation for me.

I guess these videos are pretty good, then? Is there material in there
for an Ada Diamond of the Week to be added to AdaCore's Ada Gem
of the Week series? If copyright and the wishes of the performers
will permit etc etc.

All references I have been able to find (some volumes II + III
of accompanying material) point to a two-digit number of video
tapes by Alsys from 1984.