From: QB on
I have a split 2003 mdb on a NAS and for some reason when a second user, or
more, connect there is a drastic performance hit. The db becomes very slow
to respond to any user actions...

Anyone have any ideas as to why?

QB
From: Jerry Whittle on
For the most part a NAS drive is like putting files on another computer
peer-to-peer. You won't get the throughput like putting the files out on a
server.
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

From: QB on
Any best practices, or means to do any form of optimization for this
application on the NAS? Or am I better to scrap the idea completly and
request access to a standard file server (may not be possible but I can ask)?

QB

From: Jerry Whittle on
The first thing that I would check would be the same if the file was out on a
server: do all users have read, write, create, and delete privileges to both
the file and the entire folder that the database file is in?

Next I would take the database file out to a server location AND also your
hard drive. Compare how it works in the three different locations. BTW: you
can open it up twice on your PC to test it when the file is on the hard drive.

If you did all the above and it's still slow on the NAS, then I'd grovel for
a spot on the server.

From: David W. Fenton on
=?Utf-8?B?UUI=?= <QB(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Any best practices, or means to do any form of optimization for
> this application on the NAS? Or am I better to scrap the idea
> completly and request access to a standard file server (may not be
> possible but I can ask)?

Most NAS drives are not using NTFS as the file system, so there
could be issues with Jet interacting with a foreign file system
(most often via Samba).

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/