From: Doug Bashford on

in alt.fan.mozilla,
On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Ed Mullen said about:
Re: I can't get online
> Justin wrote:
> > New World Disorder wrote on [Thu, 25 Mar 2010]:

> >> I went back to IE. Mozilla's for imbeciles.
> >
> > Yet those imbeciles are able to get it to work just fine.
> > Says more about you than it does anyone else.
>
> Obviously just a troll.

He couldn't even fake a coherent question.

An aside, it seems mozzilla corp is attempting
with some success to assimillate the Usenet Netscape
newsgroups. I'll not be assimilated, on general
principle.

But it seems to me that we Useneters are making
that easy for them since there is no Netscape.help
newsgroup...that is, something that would show up
definatively as Netscape help in a "netscape" search
of the NGs. I'm guessing many people would give up
after a few attempts subscribing to unused NGs
---even if they thought of searching "mozilla".

It also seems the *used* help NGs are being watered down,
divided between alt.fan.mozilla and
netscape.public.mozilla.browser and....?
....combined with other issues, and the drastically
reduced traffic and associated relative penetration
of spam, degrades the experience I think...even
causing a first glance to turn up as unused.

I hope someone with more savvy than I will
start a new NG called something explicitly
along these lines. I hesitate to suggest that
knowing it may seem to further water down
and divide the trafic, but I think to the contrary,
clean, positive search results will increase traffic.

....so I'm cross posting this, pretty much in
my percieved desperation to keep Usenet netscape alive.

netscape.public.mozilla.browser,
alt.fan.mozilla,
alt.netscape,
netscape.public.general,

Any ideas for a new newsgroup name?
or is it a terrible idea?

The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
The rational change their world view to fit the facts.
From: Ralph Fox on
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 00:50:22 GMT, in message <aqidnURwfupQ_1vWnZ2dnUVZ_oKknZ2d(a)pghconnect.com>
playing(a)work.edu (Doug Bashford) wrote:

> An aside, it seems mozzilla corp is attempting
> with some success to assimillate the Usenet Netscape
> newsgroups. I'll not be assimilated, on general
> principle.

The netscape.public.mozilla.* newsgroups were set up
for the mozilla organization, not as Netscape help
newsgroups.

> But it seems to me that we Useneters are making
> that easy for them since there is no Netscape.help
> newsgroup...that is, something that would show up
> definatively as Netscape help in a "netscape" search
> of the NGs.

You appear to be looking for newsgroups such as
netscape.navigator and netscape.nertscape6.windows.
You will find these newsgroups on Netscape's SSL news
server using these settings:

News server name: secnews.netscape.com
Secure connection (SSL): Yes
Port: 563 (the default when SSL is turned on)

Generally speaking, only the netscape.public.*
newsgroups were available from other Usenet servers.

Unfortunately Forte Free Agent 1.21 does not support SSL.

You must use SSL to access the Netscape help newsgroups
on Netscape's news server. If you don't use SSL you
will get a smaller list of newsgroups, missing the Netscape
help newsgroups.

You can either use an add-on like STunnel to provide the
SSL for Free Agent, or you can walk the talk and use a
Netscape newsreader (Netscape newsreaders do support SSL).
You can use Mozilla Thunderbird too, but you may need
to enable the "security.ssl3.rsa_rc2_40_md5" preference.

> It also seems the *used* help NGs are being watered down,
> divided between alt.fan.mozilla and
> netscape.public.mozilla.browser and....?

> ...so I'm cross posting this, pretty much in
> my percieved desperation to keep Usenet netscape alive.
>
> netscape.public.mozilla.browser,
> alt.fan.mozilla,
> alt.netscape,
> netscape.public.general,
>
> Any ideas for a new newsgroup name?
> or is it a terrible idea?

1. Stick with alt.netscape.
2. Use the existing netscape.* groups on Netscape's SSL news server.
3. If these NGs seem dead, that is because Netscape seems dead.
Trying to create more newsgroups won't change that one jot.
It will only divide any remaining Netscape discussions.

--
Regards
Ralph