From: CfCS on
NEW DRAFT "THEORIES REDUCING TO QUANTUM MECHANICS, QUANTUM
ELECTRODYNAMICS DOESN'T"

This 49 pages /Research/ draft analyzes the internal consistency of
different quantum theories of electrodynamics, their compatibility
with
quantum mechanics, and their confrontation with experiments and
observations.

The theories considered are: relativistic quantum electrodynamics -
both
"field" and "spacetime" formulations-; Stefanovich relativistic
quantum
dynamics; and Stückelberg, Horwitz, & Piron action-at-a-distance
quantum theory.

This /Research/ report extends, to the quantum domain, the classical
results obtained before (PRE 1997, 53, 5373; PRE 1998, 57, 3683;
CSR:20093) and shows that *(i)* the assertions that relativistic
quantum electrodynamics reduces to quantum mechanics as well as *(ii)*
the assertion that the static-field-low-velocity relativistic
equations
are identical to the Schrödinger equation of motion do not hold up on
close inspection. For instance, the Coulombian quantum potential
operator phi = phi\(R\(t\)\) cannot be reproduced by the field
potential operators (\ab v)phi = (\ab v)phi\((\ab v)x, (\ab v)t\) of
relativistic quantum electrodynamics in any limit. It is also
explained
that some observational difficulties of relativistic quantum theories
-such as the localization of elementary particles- are related to
their
lack of compatibility with quantum mechanics. Among the theories
revised, only that proposed by Stückelberg, Horwitz, & Piron reduces
quantum mechanics.

One of the main findings of this /Research/ report is that the
theories
revised belong to one of two /incompatible classes/, extending and
generalizing the incompatibility between relativistic quantum
electrodynamics and quantum mechanics first denounced by Dirac. The
main /pros/ and /cons/ for each kind are presented.

Finally, this /Research/ report introduces the new *post-relativistic*
quantum theory and discusses its possibilities and advantages over
current theories.

This draft is being reviewed by a number of experts in quantum theory,
particle physics, Stückelberg relativistic dynamics, and others.

This /Research/ draft may be downloaded from

http://www.canonicalscience.org/publications/drafts.html

##################
FULL NEWS AND BLOG
##################

http://www.canonicalscience.org/publications/canonicalsciencetoday/canonicalsciencetoday.html

http://www.canonicalscience.org/publications/canonicalsciencetoday/20100628..html
From: xxein on
On Jun 28, 3:48 pm, CfCS <nore...(a)canonicalscience.org> wrote:
> NEW DRAFT "THEORIES REDUCING TO QUANTUM MECHANICS, QUANTUM
> ELECTRODYNAMICS DOESN'T"
>
> This 49 pages /Research/ draft analyzes the internal consistency of
> different quantum theories of electrodynamics, their compatibility
> with
> quantum mechanics, and their confrontation with experiments and
> observations.
>
> The theories considered are: relativistic quantum electrodynamics -
> both
> "field" and "spacetime" formulations-; Stefanovich relativistic
> quantum
> dynamics; and Stückelberg, Horwitz, &amp; Piron action-at-a-distance
> quantum theory.
>
> This /Research/ report extends, to the quantum domain, the classical
> results obtained before (PRE 1997, 53, 5373; PRE 1998, 57, 3683;
> CSR:20093) and shows that *(i)* the assertions that relativistic
> quantum electrodynamics reduces to quantum mechanics as well as *(ii)*
> the assertion that the static-field-low-velocity relativistic
> equations
> are identical to the Schrödinger equation of motion do not hold up on
> close inspection. For instance, the Coulombian quantum potential
> operator phi = phi\(R\(t\)\) cannot be reproduced by the field
> potential operators (\ab v)phi = (\ab v)phi\((\ab  v)x, (\ab  v)t\) of
> relativistic quantum electrodynamics in any limit. It is also
> explained
> that some observational difficulties of relativistic quantum theories
> -such as the localization of elementary particles- are related to
> their
> lack of compatibility with quantum mechanics. Among the theories
> revised, only that proposed by Stückelberg, Horwitz, & Piron reduces
> quantum mechanics.
>
> One of the main findings of this /Research/ report is that the
> theories
> revised belong to one of two /incompatible classes/, extending and
> generalizing the incompatibility between relativistic quantum
> electrodynamics and quantum mechanics first denounced by Dirac. The
> main /pros/ and /cons/ for each kind are presented.
>
> Finally, this /Research/ report introduces the new *post-relativistic*
> quantum theory and discusses its possibilities and advantages over
> current theories.
>
> This draft is being reviewed by a number of experts in quantum theory,
> particle physics, Stückelberg relativistic dynamics, and others.
>
> This /Research/ draft may be downloaded from
>
> http://www.canonicalscience.org/publications/drafts.html
>
> ##################
> FULL NEWS AND BLOG
> ##################
>
> http://www.canonicalscience.org/publications/canonicalsciencetoday/ca...
>
> http://www.canonicalscience.org/publications/canonicalsciencetoday/20...

xxein: So it tells you that one or the other is wrong. Include SRT
and GRT along with that.

I couldn't tell you what is right, but a good examination of it all
does not really favor any theoretical composition among the 2+2
choices.

We need a theory that can transpose micro and macro observations to
every extent. And it does not have to have an understandable or
workable mathematic to prove itself. Play the outfield in a baseball
game and tell me how much math you used to catch the fly ball.

Don't mathematicize what you don't know.