From: John Navas on
Vendors are adding cheaper and simpler Android-based phones to their
portfolios, in an effort to put smartphones in the hands of more users.
The products will also help close the gap between Android and Apple's
iPhone, according to analysts.

On Tuesday, Samsung Electronics launched the Galaxy 3 and Galaxy 5. On
Wednesday, Sony Ericsson announced the Xperia X8, which will start
shipping in the third quarter and cost less than �200 (US$250) before
subsidies, according to a blog post. The Xperia X8 comes with a 3-inch
display, a 3.2-megapixel camera and navigation using A-GPS
(Assisted-GPS).

The new price point will help attract a new audience for Android-based
smartphones, Sony Ericsson said.

Sales of Android smartphones have exceeded those of the iPhone in North
America, but globally the iPhone was still ahead of Android by more than
3 million units during the first quarter, according to market research
company Gartner.

However, the arrival of smartphones like the Galaxy 3, Galaxy 5 and the
Xperia X8 will help drive sales volume and give Google an edge in the
smartphone OS war with Apple.

"Android is undoubtedly growing in strength, and I think if you look at
the momentum that Android has now ... it looks set to next year really
start pushing Apple in terms of volumes, and in a two year time frame
become the second largest platform behind Symbian," said Geoff Blaber,
analyst at CCS Insight.

MORE:
<http://www.pcworld.com/article/199128/cheap_smartphones_will_help_android_overtake_the_iphone.html>
From: Justin on
John Navas wrote on [Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:18:23 -0700]:
> Vendors are adding cheaper and simpler Android-based phones to their
> portfolios, in an effort to put smartphones in the hands of more users.
> The products will also help close the gap between Android and Apple's
> iPhone, according to analysts.
>
> On Tuesday, Samsung Electronics launched the Galaxy 3 and Galaxy 5. On
> Wednesday, Sony Ericsson announced the Xperia X8, which will start
> shipping in the third quarter and cost less than €200 (US$250) before
> subsidies, according to a blog post. The Xperia X8 comes with a 3-inch
> display, a 3.2-megapixel camera and navigation using A-GPS
> (Assisted-GPS).

I can't believe the difference of the cost of the handset is what people
pay attention to. It's ridiculous when you look at the cost of the plan
over the contract period.

a $200, $100 or a $0 price doesn't make much difference when the data for the
plan alone is going to be $720 for 2 years
From: John Navas on
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 13:49:57 +0000 (UTC), in
<hvfti4$om0$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Justin <nospam(a)insightbb.com>
wrote:

>John Navas wrote on [Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:18:23 -0700]:
>> Vendors are adding cheaper and simpler Android-based phones to their
>> portfolios, in an effort to put smartphones in the hands of more users.
>> The products will also help close the gap between Android and Apple's
>> iPhone, according to analysts.
>>
>> On Tuesday, Samsung Electronics launched the Galaxy 3 and Galaxy 5. On
>> Wednesday, Sony Ericsson announced the Xperia X8, which will start
>> shipping in the third quarter and cost less than ?200 (US$250) before
>> subsidies, according to a blog post. The Xperia X8 comes with a 3-inch
>> display, a 3.2-megapixel camera and navigation using A-GPS
>> (Assisted-GPS).
>
>I can't believe the difference of the cost of the handset is what people
>pay attention to. It's ridiculous when you look at the cost of the plan
>over the contract period.
>
>a $200, $100 or a $0 price doesn't make much difference when the data for the
>plan alone is going to be $720 for 2 years

People are nonetheless attracted by "free" phones, and new lower-cost
devices will make it possible for carriers to offer "free" Android
phones.

--
Best regards,
John

"There are three kinds of men.
The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."
-Will Rogers