From: John Navas on
The Federal Communications Commission voted Thursday to start the
controversial process of reclassifying high-speed Internet access to
give the agency more authority over service providers to prevent
disparate treatment of customers.

The commission voted 3-2 along party lines to put out for public comment
a new regulatory framework, dubbed the Third Way, that would make
Internet service providers subject to some of the same nondiscrimination
rules that apply to telephone companies.

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski has been a vocal supporter of requiring
Internet providers to treat all similar Web traffic equally, an issue
known as net neutrality.

MORE:
<http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0618-fcc-broadband-20100618,0,5300272.story>

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
John FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>
From: Kevin McMurtrie on
"...along party lines..."

I can't tell you how tired I am of hearing that. It doesn't matter any
more whether an idea is good or not, it just matters whether or not the
author is with the majority party du jour.

I'm all for regulating internet services but a government run like this
won't be any better than a handful of lazy telcos.
From: John Navas on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:07:52 -0700, in
<nmol165kbt5llc3peo8irtaca2jtag7am7(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<jncl1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>The Federal Communications Commission voted Thursday to start the
>controversial process of reclassifying high-speed Internet access to
>give the agency more authority over service providers to prevent
>disparate treatment of customers.
>
>The commission voted 3-2 along party lines to put out for public comment
>a new regulatory framework, dubbed the Third Way, that would make
>Internet service providers subject to some of the same nondiscrimination
>rules that apply to telephone companies.
>
>FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski has been a vocal supporter of requiring
>Internet providers to treat all similar Web traffic equally, an issue
>known as net neutrality.
>
>MORE:
><http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0618-fcc-broadband-20100618,0,5300272.story>

FCC takes baby step towards net neutrality

Critics foresee webageddon

The US Federal Communications Commission announced on Wednesday that it
would open up the topic of broadband regulation to public commentary �
and from some of reactions to that mild step, you'd think that by doing
so they were destroying America's economic future.

MORE:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/18/fcc_opens_public_comment/>