From: John Navas on
People who use public WiFi to make iPhone calls or conduct video
conferences take heed: It just got a lot easier to monitor your
conversations in real time.

At a talk scheduled for Saturday at the Toorcon hacker conference in
San Diego, two security researchers plan to show the latest advances
in the open-source UCSniff tool for penetrating
voice-over-internet-protocol systems. With a few clicks of a mouse,
they will eavesdrop on a call between two audience members using
popular iPhone applications that route the calls over the conference
network.

"If we can do this, there are many, many people out there who can do
this. It's not rocket science," ...

MORE:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/23/iphone_voip_sniffing_made_easy/>

--
Best regards,
John <http:/navasgroup.com>

If the iPhone is really so impressive,
why do iFans keep making excuses for it?
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:06:30 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
> they will eavesdrop on a call between two audience members using
> popular iPhone applications that route the calls over the conference
> network.
>
>MORE:
><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/23/iphone_voip_sniffing_made_easy/>

I guess that might be Skype. I'll believe it when I see it:
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/12/nsa_offers_billions_for_skype_pwnage/>
<http://intelligencenews.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/02-140/>

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com jeffl(a)cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
From: Larry on
John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in

> People who use public WiFi to make iPhone calls or conduct video
> conferences take heed: It just got a lot easier to monitor your
> conversations in real time.
>
> At a talk scheduled for Saturday at the Toorcon hacker conference
in
> San Diego, two security researchers plan to show the latest
advances
> in the open-source UCSniff tool for penetrating
> voice-over-internet-protocol systems. With a few clicks of a mouse,
> they will eavesdrop on a call between two audience members using
> popular iPhone applications that route the calls over the
conference
> network.

I'd love to see 'em do it to a Skype phone call of 5 minutes duration
over any open wifi you choose. I want to hear the voice recording of
the conversation as proof they can do it that quickly.

"Bullshit" comes to mind.

1 - Skype uses ANY of the 65,535 port numbers, making it hard to find in
the first place...lots of port scanning to start with.

After finding which port your Skype is using, say port 49,273 for grins,
they can start working on the per-call 256-bit encryption they don't
have the key for that changes with every call.

Now, can they do all that within the 5 minutes of my phone call?

Bullshit.....pure bullshit....even if they have my current sellphone IP,
which changes with every call, also.

My call is long over before they even identify the data stream.....5
minutes, 300 seconds.....NOT THROUGH A SERVER, IP to IP, through a
massive network of Skype users' computers used as network interface in
background.

At 0047 EDT 10/25/09, My Skype is connected for interface data to:
Skype.exe:10308 TCP schultz:1184 cpe-24-210-197-
182.woh.res.rr.com:36334 ESTABLISHED

Skype.exe:10308 TCP schultz:54683 69.171.167.3:55703 ESTABLISHED

That last IP seems to be on Leap Wireless (Cricket is Leap) in
Charlotte, NC, that does have Cricket service. My trace to it stopped
at:
9 4.69.132.161 25ms 24ms 25ms TTL: 0 (ae-4-
4.car1.Charlotte1.Level3.net ok)
10 4.71.124.58 26ms 25ms 26ms TTL: 0 (LEAP-
WIRELE.car1.Charlotte1.Level3.net ok)

How are the bullshit experts at NSA going to suck my data off this guy's
Cricket aircard and his netbook at Bert's Bar on port 54683? Hell, how
are they ever going to find it?!

Where's woh on Road Runner...res means it's a residence, somebody's
desktop. I can see a small amount of encrypted data going through these
connections with my sniffer.

Oops, the netbook on Cricket just dropped offline. I made a test call
then paused TCPView to save the paths it opened to complete this call.
Here's a list of stations just calling Skype Test in England opened:
163-161.static.quiettouch.com:63082
213.244.170.76:11079
193.88.6.12:60825
78.141.177.72:30819
78.141.177.73:41988
212.8.163.80:25585
212.8.163.80:8560
193.88.6.12:16386
213.244.170.77:63122
213.244.170.77:58692
213.244.170.76:47828
212.8.163.80:27650

These :ports were open for about .8 seconds until the key was passed, I
can only assume through a few of them, one of them, all of them....who
knows? Then, these ports were dumped to System Process in Time_wait.

78.141.177.73:39688 stayed open and is my new port to replace the
netbook that died as this call completed. My new Skype partner seems to
be in Luxembourg? NSA got a PC at his house?

8 64.215.80.102 125ms 124ms 125ms TTL: 0 (P-T-LUXEMBOURG.Te4-
4.1162.ar4.AMS2.gblx.net probable bogus rDNS: No DNS)
9 213.166.61.202 133ms 133ms 130ms TTL: 0 (PTLUX-Teralink-
Frankfurt.pt.lu fraudulent rDNS)
10 213.166.61.206 126ms 125ms 131ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
11 213.135.247.105 * * 126ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
12 213.135.247.102 126ms 126ms 127ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
13 78.141.177.73 126ms 125ms 126ms TTL: 48 (No rDNS)

So, how in hell do you think this crazy stream of crazy IPs all over the
place on all these random ports is going to be detected, decoded,
decrypted before my 5 minute phone call to Mom is OVER?!

It's not.......All the propaganda bullshit isn't going to do it...like
the news article I posted says....

Download TCPView from the net and install it. Take a look for
yourselves the shitstorm of Skype IPs that are used on every call. It
must be a government nightmare....worldwide.

--
Larry

From: John Blutarsky on
Larry <noone(a)home.com> wrote in

<snip>

You don't read very well, among other things.

The goal was not to trace the call, but to listen to it. Listen to it
after coming out of your computer and before going to it's next
destination. Listening to it as it gets to your computer. All easily done
by sniffing the hotspot you're computer is using at the time.

But thanks for once again showing that you have no clue about technology.
The only difference between you and John Novice is...well...nothing. Oh
wait- that's not fair- you are much more paranoid.

From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 01:33:54 -0500, Dennis Ferguson
<dcferguson(a)pacbell.net> wrote:

>On 2009-10-25, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:06:30 -0700, John Navas
>><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>>> they will eavesdrop on a call between two audience members using
>>> popular iPhone applications that route the calls over the conference
>>> network.
>>>
>>>MORE:
>>><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/10/23/iphone_voip_sniffing_made_easy/>
>>
>> I guess that might be Skype. I'll believe it when I see it:
>><http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/12/nsa_offers_billions_for_skype_pwnage/>
>><http://intelligencenews.wordpress.com/2009/08/28/02-140/>

>No, my guess would be that they're talking about standard,
>SIP-based VoIP (mostly because they quote someone from Sipera
>about business usage).
>
>Dennis Ferguson

Oh well. SIP Sniffing is not rocket science. I use Cain and Abel:
<http://www.oxid.it/ca_um/topics/voip.htm>
or WireShark with a SIP/RTP capture filter:
<http://wiki.wireshark.org/SIP>
<http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureFilters> (near bottom of page)
<http://www.wireshark.org/docs/dfref/s/sip.html>
I've never tried it via wireless but as long as I don't have to deal
with WPA encryption, it doesn't seem like much of a challenge.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com