From: John Navas on
The launch of Apple's iPhone 4 also marks the end of unlimited
smartphone data plans from major UK mobile phone companies.

O2, which was Apple's exclusive UK partner for the iPhone, has
introduced a monthly cap of up to 1GB (gigabyte) for data on new
contracts.

This mirrors a similar recent move by rival Vodafone, and Three has also
today announced a 1GB monthly cap.

MORE: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10401949.stm>

My comment: It was inevitable that a few (ab)users would spoil it for
us all, another Tragedy of the Commons.
From: Steve Sobol on
In article <bbp6269idq89rom0mknsaqr8u07d5ne4v6(a)4ax.com>, jncl1
@navasgroup.com says...

> The launch of Apple's iPhone 4 also marks the end of unlimited
> smartphone data plans from major UK mobile phone companies.
>
> O2, which was Apple's exclusive UK partner for the iPhone, has
> introduced a monthly cap of up to 1GB (gigabyte) for data on new
> contracts.
>
> This mirrors a similar recent move by rival Vodafone, and Three has also
> today announced a 1GB monthly cap.
>
> MORE: <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10401949.stm>
>

> My comment: It was inevitable that a few (ab)users would spoil it for
> us all, another Tragedy of the Commons.

I can't see this working out, long-term.

The carriers are all pushing video and other data-hungry services.

And on the other hand, they're taking away unlimited plans and/or
putting caps into place.

--
Steve Sobol, Victorville, California, USA
sjsobol(a)JustThe.net