From: Bazsl on
Is it true that Microsoft has shut down the NNTP interface to the newsgroups
and only the Web interface is available now?
From: Bruce Hagen on

"Bazsl" <Bazsl(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it true that Microsoft has shut down the NNTP interface to the
> newsgroups
> and only the Web interface is available now?

When the newsgroups are closed, the Web interface, (a back door to the
groups) ceases to work as well.

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Newsgroups removed as of June 1, 2010
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/06/05/closin-the-nntp.aspx

You can still access the groups on some non-MS servers such as Eternal
September, but how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is
unknown.

Eternal September
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

The replacement forums.

Microsoft Answers - First Time Users
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
No, I'm replying via NNTP & the MS newsserver.

From: Bill in Co on
And you should probably add that this is one of the few remaining MS
newsgroups still available on the MS newsserver (unless I'm mistaken). If
he wants NNTP access in the future, he'll need another NNTP server.

From: Do Dah Zippity on
...and if all the traffic is moving elsewhere, the groups won't be worth a
flip.

"Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]" <.@.> wrote in message
: >Is it true that Microsoft has shut down the NNTP interface to the
newsgroups
: >and only the Web interface is available now?
:
: It's still here and likely will be but will only be available to those
: who have and ISP that gives them access to free NNTP or via a paid
: NNTP provider. I'm happy with my $2.95 a month plan at usenetmonster.
:
: - Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]