From: Johannes Berg on
On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 13:18 +0200, Tilman Schmidt wrote:

> Can you explain a bit more what that message is about?
> I am encountering it in a completely different context
> (PPP over ISDN) and I would like to know where to start
> looking for the cause and developing a fix. The thread
> on linux.kernel.wireless.general only seems to address
> the specific situation in the wireless stack.

Basically, calling netif_rx() with softirqs enabled.

johannes
From: Dave Young on
On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Johannes Berg
<johannes(a)sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 17:52 +0800, Dave Young wrote:
>
>> With kernel 2.6.32-rc3-00052-g0eca52a I got following KERN_ERR
>> messages just while using firefox:
>>
>> [  130.527399] NOHZ: local_softirq_pending 08
>
>> Any idea? or known issue?
>
> Are you using b43 (or wl12x1)? If so, it's a known issue, but the driver
> was recently left without an active maintainer in a brouhaha about a bug
> fix.

Yes, I'm using b43. I will test the patch you posted in another thread.

--
Regards
dave
From: David Miller on
From: Michael Buesch <mb(a)bu3sch.de>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:17:30 +0200

> On Sunday 11 October 2009 12:08:55 Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 17:52 +0800, Dave Young wrote:
>>
>> FWIW, I believe the bug to be in b43 and wl12x1, and not as Michael
>> thinks in the stack.
>
> If mac80211 requires BHs disabled, it should do this.

That's overhead, and %99 of drivers do not require it, and therefore
for %99 of drivers it's unnecessary overhead.

In general we avoid doing things like that. Instead, we put the
cost only where it's actually needed.
From: Tilman Schmidt on
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:08:55 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 17:52 +0800, Dave Young wrote:
>
>> With kernel 2.6.32-rc3-00052-g0eca52a I got following KERN_ERR
>> messages just while using firefox:
>>
>> [ 130.527399] NOHZ: local_softirq_pending 08
>
>> Any idea? or known issue?
>
> Are you using b43 (or wl12x1)? If so, it's a known issue, but the driver
> was recently left without an active maintainer in a brouhaha about a bug
> fix.
>
> Cf. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/39440

Can you explain a bit more what that message is about?
I am encountering it in a completely different context
(PPP over ISDN) and I would like to know where to start
looking for the cause and developing a fix. The thread
on linux.kernel.wireless.general only seems to address
the specific situation in the wireless stack.

Thanks,
Tilman