From: zhuguohun on
Let me give a simple example to show how to understand the guess concept of NDTM.
(you can also view this idea from http://zhuguohun.blog.163.com/blog/static/128376378201002075927666/)

Example: Determine a Hamiltonian cycle on NDTM by given graph G(V,E) with n vertices ( v1,v2,...Vn).

Firstly, the NDTM can guess there exists an order (x1,x2,..........xn) of G, where x1=vi( i<=1<=n)
At first glance, the number of the order can be (n-1)! / 2 .

But if we draw this order with a binary tree T.
the root of T is v1, the nodes of second level could be v2 if (v1,v2) $\in$ E, v3 if (v1,v3) $\in$ E, .......
then the third level T could be (v3,...vn) , . ......
the last level (leaf of T) could be vn, ....

So the high of T is $<=n$, and the width T of is also $<=n-1$.
Now , it is easy to understand that the NDTM can be choice the root of T and
then guess a node in parallel in second level, at last to the leaf.

So the guess is at most O(n*log2n) for NDTM instead of exponential times.

BTW,(1) I can not access "comp.theory|Google Groups"
from my campus, so I register here again and hope to exchange idea with this group.
(2)

Guohun Zhu
blog: http://zhuguohun.blog.163.com/

---