From: Roy on
Recently a former workmate called me as he was having with his Lenovo
netbook as he kept getting this"NTLDR is missing Press control alt
delete to restart"

After doing the cntr alt del for a few times and it kept reverting
back, I told him that might be the NTLDR file is corrupted that he
have repair it by inserting the winxp cd...
But he told me that he did it but got stymied as before the XP logo
can materialize he is requested to press F3... theproblem is he can't
read the details as its in chinese.....( he bought the unit in
Shanghai during his trip a few months ago)......

I would like to ask if you were asked for this situation what would be
your recommendation..
BTW
He tried to change the boot seting in bios by..... boot from other
such as network but it won't work , from his hard drive it won't work
and the last recourse from the bootable cd which only increased his
difficulty....

Roy
From: BillW50 on
In news:85fea86a-3ca4-4290-9caf-812e61fcaf22(a)6g2000prg.googlegroups.com,
Roy typed on Sun, 9 May 2010 15:43:03 -0700 (PDT):
> Recently a former workmate called me as he was having with his Lenovo
> netbook as he kept getting this"NTLDR is missing Press control alt
> delete to restart"
>
> After doing the cntr alt del for a few times and it kept reverting
> back, I told him that might be the NTLDR file is corrupted that he
> have repair it by inserting the winxp cd...
> But he told me that he did it but got stymied as before the XP logo
> can materialize he is requested to press F3... theproblem is he can't
> read the details as its in chinese.....( he bought the unit in
> Shanghai during his trip a few months ago)......
>
> I would like to ask if you were asked for this situation what would be
> your recommendation..
> BTW
> He tried to change the boot seting in bios by..... boot from other
> such as network but it won't work , from his hard drive it won't work
> and the last recourse from the bootable cd which only increased his
> difficulty....
>
> Roy

Sounds like it is a Windows 2000 or XP system. That error is common when
the MBR can't find the boot files. You need the following files in the
root directory of the boot partition (the one set to active). And these
are:

boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr

That boot.ini can be edited with a text editor. And the file will not be
found on an install disc, but created when Windows installs itself.

And if you did borrow an English Windows install disc, I hear tell that
the key only works for the one language anyway. Let alone the difference
between OEM and retail keys.

I dunno. If it were me, I'd dump that Chinese version and get an English
version either OEM or retail. Here is one for $44.99. I never bought
anything from this guy. But he has been selling them for a number of
years now. Or try eBay or something if you want to get rid of the
Chinese version.

Windows XP Pro SP3 Full Version 32 bit Download
http://www.shoppalstores.com/softwareiq/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/29815/subcatid/0/id/412076

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

From: RnR on
On Sun, 9 May 2010 15:43:03 -0700 (PDT), Roy <roybasan(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Recently a former workmate called me as he was having with his Lenovo
>netbook as he kept getting this"NTLDR is missing Press control alt
>delete to restart"
>
>After doing the cntr alt del for a few times and it kept reverting
>back, I told him that might be the NTLDR file is corrupted that he
>have repair it by inserting the winxp cd...
>But he told me that he did it but got stymied as before the XP logo
>can materialize he is requested to press F3... theproblem is he can't
>read the details as its in chinese.....( he bought the unit in
>Shanghai during his trip a few months ago)......
>
>I would like to ask if you were asked for this situation what would be
>your recommendation..
>BTW
>He tried to change the boot seting in bios by..... boot from other
>such as network but it won't work , from his hard drive it won't work
>and the last recourse from the bootable cd which only increased his
>difficulty....
>
>Roy

think recovery console