From: Vassilis Rizopoulos on
On 09/08/10 09:46 , Samuel Sternhagen wrote:
> Thanks for the tip Jesus. I used to program in C so I have some bad
> habits. I just tried my code without creating all those objects and
> everything went fine.
Might I suggest reading the first few chapters of the original Pickaxe
(http://ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/) - lets say up to Basic I/O.
Although it was written for 1.6 and is woefully out-of-date as a Ruby
reference, I always found it gave one of the more digestible
explanations of OO and dynamic typing.
Ofcourse you can go right ahead and buy the newest version.
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.ampelofilosofies.gr

From: Brian Candler on
Samuel Sternhagen wrote:
> I have used Net::HTTP like this:
>
> Net::HTTP.get 'google.com', '/index.html'
>
> I would like to pass it a variable instead.
>
> I tried this:
>
> irb(main):001:0> require 'net/http'
> => true
> irb(main):002:0> url = String.new
> => ""
> irb(main):003:0> url = "'google.com', '/index.html'"
> => "'google.com', '/index.html'"

Here's another option you could use:

url = ['google.com', '/index.html']
Net::HTTP.get_print(*url)

or more simply:

host = 'google.com'
path = '/index.html'
Net::HTTP.get_print(host, path)

From: Sniper Abandon on
Samuel Sternhagen wrote:
> I have used Net::HTTP like this:

Hi Sam try to use Nokogiri gem
it will be easy (to unterstand) and fast also

From: tilde on
On 08/09/10 08:45, Samuel Sternhagen wrote:
> tilde wrote:
>> On 08/09/10 04:18, Samuel Sternhagen wrote:
>>> url = "'google.com', '/index.html'"
>>
>> url="google.com/index.html"
>> Net::HTTP.get_print(URI.parse(url))
>>
>> get and get_print expect an URI, if you don't specify both host and path
>> as strings.
>
> Thanks :D It is working now.
> This one had me stuck for hours.

No problem ^^