From: Pawlly Phonic on
1st thanks to those who helped so much with my previous project re
laptops with VERY RELIABLE power jacks. This one needs that too but
there are other needs as well. I know there are many threads like
this, but they can't help but come up repeatedly as what's available
out there keeps changing. Thank goodness there are those generous
with their wisdom.

Now, the main thing is it must be near silent. It is to be used in a
studio environment. I realize this is not just a matter of the
computer model. The fan makes the noise (though perhaps you know who
makes quieter fans) and the fan runs higher the hotter the thing gets
so strategies for keeping it cool are also a consideration.
Unfortunately most extra-computer ones just involve more fans.
Knowing any features (or lack of them) that are a clue to noise (or
lack of it) might help. It may actually be used on someone's lap some
of the time, which isn't going to help. (Though I suppose flesh might
muffle the noise somewhat until the heat produces a scream.)

Otherwise it needs to be fairly powerful- I'm thinking i5, at LEAST
4GM mem and the preference is for small. No more than 14.x" and 11"
would be better. b, g, n of course. Great video not necessary.
Optical drive not necessary though if size needs to go up to 13-14 it
might as well have one.

Another consideration though a lesser one would be available warranty
plans. 4 or 5 years instead of the usual 3 would be a plus.

$2,000 max including warranty. Negotiable.

But above all, as silent as possible.

Ideas much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Paula
From: Bill on
In message
<84469c05-2ac6-403a-ae52-5975f8b76183(a)n37g2000prc.googlegroups.com>,
Pawlly Phonic <pawllyphonic(a)gmail.com> writes
>Now, the main thing is it must be near silent. It is to be used in a
>studio environment. I realize this is not just a matter of the
>computer model.

There are machines without fans, my son has one, but they are not
laptops. They have huge heatsinks, usually the case.

You don't say what sort of studio, but most broadcast radio studios that
I have built and worked with had air con that was designed to provide a
constant low level background noise to mask structure borne noise such
as the clicking of high heels on the floor above.

When I've used a laptop to record intimate (no, not that sort) theatre,
the problem has been the sudden cutting in of the fan noise rather than
the noise itself.

I think you should look for a machine with a largish quiet fan that can
be set to run continuously.

--
Bill
From: Bigguy on
On 13/05/2010 07:59, Pawlly Phonic wrote:
> 1st thanks to those who helped so much with my previous project re
> laptops with VERY RELIABLE power jacks. This one needs that too but
> there are other needs as well. I know there are many threads like
> this, but they can't help but come up repeatedly as what's available
> out there keeps changing. Thank goodness there are those generous
> with their wisdom.
>
> Now, the main thing is it must be near silent. It is to be used in a
> studio environment. I realize this is not just a matter of the
> computer model. The fan makes the noise (though perhaps you know who
> makes quieter fans) and the fan runs higher the hotter the thing gets
> so strategies for keeping it cool are also a consideration.
> Unfortunately most extra-computer ones just involve more fans.
> Knowing any features (or lack of them) that are a clue to noise (or
> lack of it) might help. It may actually be used on someone's lap some
> of the time, which isn't going to help. (Though I suppose flesh might
> muffle the noise somewhat until the heat produces a scream.)
>
> Otherwise it needs to be fairly powerful- I'm thinking i5, at LEAST
> 4GM mem and the preference is for small. No more than 14.x" and 11"
> would be better. b, g, n of course. Great video not necessary.
> Optical drive not necessary though if size needs to go up to 13-14 it
> might as well have one.
>
> Another consideration though a lesser one would be available warranty
> plans. 4 or 5 years instead of the usual 3 would be a plus.
>
> $2,000 max including warranty. Negotiable.
>
> But above all, as silent as possible.
>
> Ideas much appreciated.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Paula
MacBook Pro. And you can run Windows 7 on it...

From: BillW50 on
In news:852jc5FnqqU1(a)mid.individual.net,
Bigguy typed on Thu, 13 May 2010 16:17:21 +0100:
> MacBook Pro. And you can run Windows 7 on it...

Type in "MacBook Pro woes" under ixquick search engine and you get
615,757 hits. And wasn't it the MacBook Pro was having all of those hard
drive and video card failures?

And last I heard that only 27% are running Vista or Windows 7. While
Windows XP holds the largest number at 63%. And I believe the number of
new laptops that comes with Windows 7 on them, about 30% will remove it
and put Windows XP on the machine.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

From: Pawlly Phonic on
On May 13, 9:14 am, "BillW50" <Bill...(a)aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:852jc5FnqqU1(a)mid.individual.net,
> Bigguy typed on Thu, 13 May 2010 16:17:21 +0100:
>
> > MacBook Pro. And you can run Windows 7 on it...

> Type in "MacBook Pro woes" under ixquick search engine and you get
> 615,757 hits. And wasn't it the MacBook Pro was having all of those hard
> drive and video card failures?
>
> And last I heard that only 27% are running Vista or Windows 7. While
> Windows XP holds the largest number at 63%. And I believe the number of
> new laptops that comes with Windows 7 on them, about 30% will remove it
> and put Windows XP on the machine.
>
> http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qp...
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3

It'll have to be a Windows 7 machine. The user may want to back down
to XP. XP SP3 is what I'm using right now. But I don't think either
is more quiet-running. ;)

To the other Bill thanks. The machine I'm currently using (ancient
underpowered Toshiba) has a "silent mode" feature which winds up
accomplishing that- the fan will not go on high, the CPU will just
slow down if it starts to get hot- so in effect the fan is permanently
on, but on low speed. You remind me to make sure something like that
feature is available on whatever I wind up with.

Paula