From: forest8 on
Hi there

I realize that I have to normalize some of my tables in my database but I
have split the database.

My question is, what is the best way to do this?

All these tables have been referenced in the forms in the database.

How do I change the forms without recreating them all over again?

Thank you for any help in this matter.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 22:24:01 -0700, forest8
<forest8(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I realize that I have to normalize some of my tables in my database but I
>have split the database.
>
>My question is, what is the best way to do this?

Make backups of the front and back end (you should have them backed up of
course, but make SURE you have good working backups!!)

Open the backend database exclusively; make the table structural changes
there.

Then open the frontend. DELETE the links to the backend tables that you have
changed (just select the table in the tables window and delete it, it's just
deleting the link, not the table). Use File... Get External Data... Link to
relink to it.

>All these tables have been referenced in the forms in the database.
>
>How do I change the forms without recreating them all over again?

Open the form in design view; view its Properties. Select the Recordsource
property and open it in query design view. Make the appropriate changes to the
query. This may affect updatability of the form, depending on what you've
changed; you may need to go from a single form to a form with a subform, etc.
But you should be able to reuse controls and probably most of your code, if
there is any.

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Alexander Achenbach on

Perhaps it helps if you design some queries which reflect the structure (and
fieldnames) before your changes as a kind of middle-tier between the
redesigned data-model and the presentation-tier (forms/reports). This won't
work for all your changes (esp. if you split tables) but it can speed up
your work. If you change table-names and field-names use a query named with
the old table's name and delivering the columns with the old names
(OldColName:NewColName).
This won't relieve you from redesigning but will give you time.

Pages: 1
Prev: Vipada garment@mail.com
Next: plain lazy