From: Gregor Kofler on
David Mark meinte:

[snip]

Hey, they state

"To select HTML elements in JavaScript, you can use the browser�s native
DOM API, but they�re verbose and hard to work with...not to mention slow."

And

"dojo.query gives us a more compact way to do it, and it's often faster,
particularly as we ask for more sophisticated kinds of relationships."

Faster tahn native methods? Sounds like sheer magic.

BTW: What happened to your involvement in tis project?

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com
From: David Mark on
Gregor Kofler wrote:
> David Mark meinte:
>
> [snip]
>
> Hey, they state
>
> "To select HTML elements in JavaScript, you can use the browser�s native
> DOM API, but they�re verbose and hard to work with...not to mention slow."

LOL. How did I miss that?!

> And
>
> "dojo.query gives us a more compact way to do it, and it's often faster,
> particularly as we ask for more sophisticated kinds of relationships."

Oh sure, dojo.query gets faster as the queries get more complex. That
sounds like their typical nonsense. As demonstrated, not only is their
query thing slow, but it is also terribly inaccurate:-

http://www.cinsoft.net/slickspeed.html

Furthermore, it is programming by observation, using UA sniffing:-

var n = navigator;
var dua = n.userAgent;
var dav = n.appVersion;
var tv = parseFloat(dav);
acme.isOpera = (dua.indexOf("Opera") >= 0) ? tv: undefined;
acme.isKhtml = (dav.indexOf("Konqueror") >= 0) ? tv : undefined;
acme.isWebKit = parseFloat(dua.split("WebKit/")[1]) || undefined;
acme.isChrome = parseFloat(dua.split("Chrome/")[1]) || undefined;

[...]
root = root||getDoc();
var od = root.ownerDocument||root.documentElement;

// throw the big case sensitivity switch

// NOTE:
// Opera in XHTML mode doesn't detect case-sensitivity correctly
// and it's not clear that there's any way to test for it
caseSensitive = (root.contentType &&
root.contentType=="application/xml") ||
(d.isOpera && (root.doctype || od.toString() == "[object
XMLDocument]")) ||
(!!od) &&
(d.isIE ? od.xml : (root.xmlVersion||od.xmlVersion));

So, after all of that UA sniffing, they still couldn't make their
"design" work (even fleetingly, which is the best you can do with UA
sniffing) at all in one of the five browsers they "care" about. Well,
they "care" about version 10. Anything less, screw 'em. Having run the
SlickSpeed tests in a few versions of Opera 9.x, I can confirm that Dojo
completely falls apart. The scary thing about that is that next year
they'll stop "caring" about Opera 10. And this is what they recommend
using in lieu of gEBI, gEBTN, etc., which work in virtually every
browser released this century (and several from the last?) They are
more delusional than I thought.

> Faster tahn native methods? Sounds like sheer magic.

And they actually believe their own bullshit. Trust me.

> BTW: What happened to your involvement in tis project?

Well basically, the whole problem is that, to a man, they don't seem to
grasp abstractions. Yes, I know. Any time you try to explain why
something in the code needs to change, their response is invariably
"show me where it fails." It's sort of like teaching children basic
math with beans or apples or whatever. They can't grasp addition or
subtraction without observing differences in piles of tangible objects.
Same thing with these browser sniffers. Of course, their observations
are necessarily dated, so that's why they consciously stop "caring"
about last year's browsers and adjust their "designs" based on their
observations of this year's browsers. It's an endless cycle of futility.

As for me, I rewrote most of it last summer, but I didn't have time to
explain... everything to them. They've never seen a grin without a cat?
I say good luck with that!

What I am doing is starting a premium support service for those stuck in
Dojo (or jQuery or whatever BS library) hell. The launch will be part
of the new cinsoft.net site. There are actually some Dojo users out
there. They are typically found behind corporate firewalls (and are
usually desperate for someone to explain where they went wrong). I'm
just the guy to do that. ;)
From: Andrew Poulos on
Also I notice that the http://www.dojotoolkit.org/ page give 46 CSS
warnings in FF.

Andrew Poulos
From: Scott Sauyet on
David Mark wrote:
> Have you seen the shiny new Dojo Toolkit site? [ ... ]

Umm... David, you do realize c.l.j.s. is about Javascript, right?

:-)

-- Scott
From: Andrew Poulos on
On 9/03/2010 12:58 AM, Scott Sauyet wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> Have you seen the shiny new Dojo Toolkit site? [ ... ]
>
> Umm... David, you do realize c.l.j.s. is about Javascript, right?

I can see why he posted it to this group. Dojo considers itself a
leading javascript library and it would be reasonable to consider their
web site an example of how the library should/could be used. Instead it
appears to be a counter example.

Andrew Poulos