From: rfengineer55 on
Hello:

last evening, I loaded my new computer from Ebay with Intel Visual
Fortran, so while I am a crusty programmer, I'm a newbee to Intel. I
hope that there is someone in the group who could answer some basic
questions, the answers to which, I have not yet found in the
documentation. Here they are :

1, I have some legacy (as in VAX VMS Fortran source files. In what
directory to these source files belong so that Intel/Microsoft Visual
Studio 2008 can easily find them?

2. I understand that Intel Visual Fortran can be made to readily
recognize VMS Fortran. Where do you go to set/configure this
recognition?

3. Where does my actual VAX VMS Fortran source code go in the Visual
Studio 2008 project page?

I started a project called Console 1 and saw where an existing source
code would be pasted. So I took some source code from one of my FCC
(Federal Communications Commission) Fortran programs that I had
compiled using Gfortran, opened it up in Notepad, Edit Copied and
intended to edit paste it into the console 1 program where I thought
it should go. Visual Studio 2008 dutifully imported it by itself ant
copied it under a tab called FSATFOB.for (the name of my previousle
successfully compiled program under gfortran)

I left it as it was and compiled it. It compiled fine, The exe file
also did not do anything. I then pasted my fortran source in the
console1 source code where I thought it should go. I compiled that,
and was greeted with about 31 errors. The compiler started out with an
F90 program extension, so I'm guessing that there were errors
generated due to differences in Vax VMS Fortran and Fortran 90, but I
don't know. I thought you folks here would have those answers.

Thanks again for the help.

Jeff

RF ENGINEER55
From: Jovan Cormac on
A trick that I found really helpful when using IVS is to choose
"Makefile Project" rather than "Fortran/Console Project". You can then
select your makefile (I assume you have one) into the project, allowing
you to try different compilers (including gfortran) from within the
Visual Studio IDE and not actually being stuck to IFC.

--
-- jovan
From: Tim Prince on
On 6/9/2010 11:20 AM, rfengineer55 wrote:

> 1, I have some legacy (as in VAX VMS Fortran source files. In what
> directory to these source files belong so that Intel/Microsoft Visual
> Studio 2008 can easily find them?
Anywhere convenient in your user space. Add them to your VS project.

> 2. I understand that Intel Visual Fortran can be made to readily
> recognize VMS Fortran. Where do you go to set/configure this
> recognition?
Some of the VMS extensions are on by default. Some are supported in the
ifport library, which is available by default, but you need USE IFPORT
to declare those functions. If you would USE IFPORT and also IMPLICIT
UNDEFINED, you would get a clearer error indication about any
non-portable VAX system calls which aren't taken care of. Many possible
VMS Fortran calls require replacement, which is why previous responders
offered to help if only you would be specific.

The compiler started out with an
> F90 program extension, so I'm guessing that there were errors
> generated due to differences in Vax VMS Fortran and Fortran 90, but I
> don't know. I thought you folks here would have those answers.

Most compilers, including ifort, take .F90 as a command to default to
standard free form source format, which isn't compatible with anything
used in the early VAX days. That's the reason for the .for option,
which works much like it did back then (same as .f). The only
difference is in the old rules about which fields are used for which
purpose on a source line. There is also an option to use fixed form
with source code to col. 132, which may be helpful with VAX code which
used a similar option, but further impedes use of standard formats.

--
Tim Prince
From: Steve Lionel on
On 6/9/2010 2:20 PM, rfengineer55 wrote:

> last evening, I loaded my new computer from Ebay with Intel Visual
> Fortran, so while I am a crusty programmer, I'm a newbee to Intel. I
> hope that there is someone in the group who could answer some basic
> questions, the answers to which, I have not yet found in the
> documentation. Here they are :

Let me first point you at the Intel Visual Fortran user forum,
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-visual-fortran-compiler-for-windows/
- it's a great resource to learn and ask questions.

> 1, I have some legacy (as in VAX VMS Fortran source files. In what
> directory to these source files belong so that Intel/Microsoft Visual
> Studio 2008 can easily find them?

As others said, anywhere you like. Most people put the sources in the
same folder as the project/solution, which is where Visual Studio looks
first, but they can be anywhere. Note that Visual Studio will store
"relative" file paths so if you move the project folder, it may (or may
not) break the relative paths.

> 2. I understand that Intel Visual Fortran can be made to readily
> recognize VMS Fortran. Where do you go to set/configure this
> recognition?

In most cases you don't need to do anything - Intel Fortran accepts
almost all of the Fortran extensions that VAX Fortran had. Some
exceptions are RADIX50 constants and intrinsics, and indexed
organization files. As others have said, there is a /vms option which
changes some defaults to be even more compatible with the VMS compilers
- adding support for octal constants using " syntax, for example.

> 3. Where does my actual VAX VMS Fortran source code go in the Visual
> Studio 2008 project page?
>
> I started a project called Console 1 and saw where an existing source
> code would be pasted. So I took some source code from one of my FCC
> (Federal Communications Commission) Fortran programs that I had
> compiled using Gfortran, opened it up in Notepad, Edit Copied and
> intended to edit paste it into the console 1 program where I thought
> it should go. Visual Studio 2008 dutifully imported it by itself ant
> copied it under a tab called FSATFOB.for (the name of my previousle
> successfully compiled program under gfortran)
>
> I left it as it was and compiled it. It compiled fine, The exe file
> also did not do anything. I then pasted my fortran source in the
> console1 source code where I thought it should go. I compiled that,
> and was greeted with about 31 errors. The compiler started out with an
> F90 program extension, so I'm guessing that there were errors
> generated due to differences in Vax VMS Fortran and Fortran 90, but I
> don't know. I thought you folks here would have those answers.

You will want to select the fixed-form (.for) file type when you create
a new file, if you are pasting in Fortran 77 code.

Please do join us in the user forum, where you'll get help from other
knowledgeable users as well as Intel engineers.

You may also want to take a look at
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tutorial-introduction-to-intel-visual-fortran/

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran