From: Rich Grise on Google groups on
I was reading today about the recent earthquakes in and near so. Cal,
and they
were talking about how difficult it is to analyze faults and stuff -
they were wondering
how the quakes had affected nearby faults.

So I came up with this idea: How about a little home seismometer, that
sells for
about twenty bucks, maybe even with a GPS (I don't konw how cheap they
are these
days, but accelerometers are almost free), and an ethernet connection
- somebody
could set up a central sort of monitoring place, and write some
software to analyze
movements and so on, to give an indication of seismic activity - maybe
it could lead
to some sort of early warning system!

Whaddaya think?

Thanks,
Rich
From: John Larkin on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:52:40 -0700 (PDT), Rich Grise on Google groups
<richardgrise(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was reading today about the recent earthquakes in and near so. Cal,
>and they
>were talking about how difficult it is to analyze faults and stuff -
>they were wondering
>how the quakes had affected nearby faults.
>
>So I came up with this idea: How about a little home seismometer, that
>sells for
>about twenty bucks, maybe even with a GPS (I don't konw how cheap they
>are these
>days, but accelerometers are almost free), and an ethernet connection
>- somebody
>could set up a central sort of monitoring place, and write some
>software to analyze
>movements and so on, to give an indication of seismic activity - maybe
>it could lead
>to some sort of early warning system!
>
>Whaddaya think?
>
>Thanks,
>Rich

Thousands of home seisometers, scattered all over the place,
interfaced to computers and the internet, would be interesting, sort
of like Seti at Home. With enough data, and enough computing, it might
be possible to 3D image the earth's internal structures, layer
characteristics, stuff like that.

Maybe the computing part could be parceled back out to those same
computers. Nasty math problems.

I wonder if a fault diffracts sound waves. It certainly makes them,
now and then.

John

From: AM on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:52:40 -0700 (PDT), Rich Grise on Google groups
<richardgrise(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was reading today about the recent earthquakes in and near so. Cal,
>and they
>were talking about how difficult it is to analyze faults and stuff -
>they were wondering
>how the quakes had affected nearby faults.
>
>So I came up with this idea: How about a little home seismometer, that
>sells for
>about twenty bucks, maybe even with a GPS (I don't konw how cheap they
>are these
>days, but accelerometers are almost free), and an ethernet connection
>- somebody
>could set up a central sort of monitoring place, and write some
>software to analyze
>movements and so on, to give an indication of seismic activity - maybe
>it could lead
>to some sort of early warning system!
>
>Whaddaya think?
>
>Thanks,
>Rich

That follows a model like the distributed computing models like the
Berkley SETI at home thing.

Sounds nice, but there are far more accurate placements in hundreds
(literally) of locations already, and they do analyze the data from them.

In a home, merely pulling into the garage with the car would deliver
false information that would cause the need for further, more in depth
processing of the data to cull out the false events.

They ARE analyzing a LOT of info already. They DO have hundreds of
sensors already in place, already delivering radio dispatched recorded
data blocks. With GPS.
From: John O'Flaherty on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:52:40 -0700 (PDT), Rich Grise on Google groups
<richardgrise(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was reading today about the recent earthquakes in and near so. Cal,
>and they
>were talking about how difficult it is to analyze faults and stuff -
>they were wondering
>how the quakes had affected nearby faults.
>
>So I came up with this idea: How about a little home seismometer, that
>sells for
>about twenty bucks, maybe even with a GPS (I don't konw how cheap they
>are these
>days, but accelerometers are almost free), and an ethernet connection
>- somebody
>could set up a central sort of monitoring place, and write some
>software to analyze
>movements and so on, to give an indication of seismic activity - maybe
>it could lead
>to some sort of early warning system!
>
>Whaddaya think?

There's an app for that:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seismometer/id288966259?mt=8

--
John
From: AM on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:18:52 -0500, John O'Flaherty <quiasmox(a)yeeha.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:52:40 -0700 (PDT), Rich Grise on Google groups
><richardgrise(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I was reading today about the recent earthquakes in and near so. Cal,
>>and they
>>were talking about how difficult it is to analyze faults and stuff -
>>they were wondering
>>how the quakes had affected nearby faults.
>>
>>So I came up with this idea: How about a little home seismometer, that
>>sells for
>>about twenty bucks, maybe even with a GPS (I don't konw how cheap they
>>are these
>>days, but accelerometers are almost free), and an ethernet connection
>>- somebody
>>could set up a central sort of monitoring place, and write some
>>software to analyze
>>movements and so on, to give an indication of seismic activity - maybe
>>it could lead
>>to some sort of early warning system!
>>
>>Whaddaya think?
>
>There's an app for that:
>
>http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/seismometer/id288966259?mt=8

I am quite sure that the accelerometer in the iSuckYerWalletDryPhone
does not have the needed resolve to accurately provide usable data for
analysis.

There would need to be iSuckYerWalletDryPhone fixtures to hold the
phones involved in a specific orientation so that all readings could be
normalized. The chip would actually have to have very good resolution, as
well as the circuitry that reads it, and the iSuck is already packed full
of PHONE circuits, so I doubt the resolve of the iSenseTheJiggles circuit
will be good enough to begin with.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Prev: Where is Archimedes Lever??