From: Teflon on
On Jul 31, 9:48 am, KristleBawl <kristleb...(a)some.email> wrote:

> That said, free for the next 12+ hours at the time I post this, it looks
> like it has too much background and not enough text area. There are
> several freeware alternatives that work better.

I was going to DL that freebie, but the day got away from me. Maybe
for the best. May I ask what those freeware alternatives are, which
one you favor and why?
Thanks.
From: KristleBawl on
VanguardLH expressed an opinion:
> KristleBawl wrote:
>> Giveaway of the Day isn't actually freeware. It's full version
>> commercial software that is available free if downloaded, installed and
>> registered within a 24-hour time limit.
>>
>> That said, free for the next 12+ hours at the time I post this, it looks
>> like it has too much background and not enough text area. There are
>> several freeware alternatives that work better.
>
> Besides allowing installation only with the 24-hour period for the
> giveaway (which is measured by them, not from when you downloaded the
> installer, which could mean you have just minutes to complete the
> install if you get it near the end of their expiration window), this
> site throws a wrapper around the installer. This wrapper must be able
> to phone-home to check if it is permitted to allow the installation. If
> you install on a host that that no Internet access or you disable your
> NIC to prevent any covert network connections, their installer will
> fail.
>
> You have just the one day to do the installation. If you need to
> re-install later, like rebuilding your host, just toss away any software
> you got from giveawayoftheday.com. Freeware that has just 1 day to
> install obviously isn't geared for you to actually trial it to see if it
> is something you want and is well-behaved. It is tantamount to tempting
> kids to tease their parents to buy junk food that is positioned at the
> checkout counter.

Yes, that's true: you must install it connected to the Internet to
complete the installation and registration before their 24-hour time
expires, but that is all it does. Once installed, AFAICT, it no longer
needs to connect. Also, there is no support and no updates. WYSIWYG.

The idea behind it is commercial software for free for a very limited
time in order to get feedback and more extensive testing from people
using a wider variety computer configurations. Although the programs are
not Beta, many of them might as well be marked Beta.

--
Xerox & Wurlitzer merged...now making reproductive organs.
KristleBawl's Taglines by Tagzilla 0.066.2
From: za kAT on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 12:48:40 -0400, KristleBawl wrote:

> VanguardLH expressed an opinion:
>> KristleBawl wrote:
>>> Giveaway of the Day isn't actually freeware. It's full version
>>> commercial software that is available free if downloaded, installed and
>>> registered within a 24-hour time limit.
>>>
>>> That said, free for the next 12+ hours at the time I post this, it looks
>>> like it has too much background and not enough text area. There are
>>> several freeware alternatives that work better.
>>
>> Besides allowing installation only with the 24-hour period for the
>> giveaway (which is measured by them, not from when you downloaded the
>> installer, which could mean you have just minutes to complete the
>> install if you get it near the end of their expiration window), this
>> site throws a wrapper around the installer. This wrapper must be able
>> to phone-home to check if it is permitted to allow the installation. If
>> you install on a host that that no Internet access or you disable your
>> NIC to prevent any covert network connections, their installer will
>> fail.
>>
>> You have just the one day to do the installation. If you need to
>> re-install later, like rebuilding your host, just toss away any software
>> you got from giveawayoftheday.com. Freeware that has just 1 day to
>> install obviously isn't geared for you to actually trial it to see if it
>> is something you want and is well-behaved. It is tantamount to tempting
>> kids to tease their parents to buy junk food that is positioned at the
>> checkout counter.
>
> Yes, that's true: you must install it connected to the Internet to
> complete the installation and registration before their 24-hour time
> expires, but that is all it does. Once installed, AFAICT, it no longer
> needs to connect. Also, there is no support and no updates. WYSIWYG.
>
> The idea behind it is commercial software for free for a very limited
> time in order to get feedback and more extensive testing from people
> using a wider variety computer configurations. Although the programs are
> not Beta, many of them might as well be marked Beta.

What makes it even more useless is the licence granted is for personal use
only.

What you fail to mention though is what a good place it is to look for
freeware alternatives. The comments are often much more fruitful than this
place nowadays. Best to visit towards the end of the day, for that very
reason.

--
zakAT(a)pooh.the.cat - Sergeant Tech-Com, DN38416.
Assigned to protect you. You've been targeted for denigration!