From: Scott H on
I give a concise, formal proof and a short intuitive description of ZFC +
~G.

http://www.hoge-essays.com/incompleteness.html

Any constructive feedback is welcome.

From: George Greene on
On Sep 21, 10:33 am, "Scott H" <nospam> wrote:
> Any constructive feedback is welcome.

The first constructive improvement you could make would be not
to over-claim in the first sentence. "we know for a fact that seven
circles touch,
that ð is greater than 3, and that there are infinitely many prime
numbers"
is missing the point. We may "know" these things, but "for a fact" is
just
from the completely wrong realm. These things are NOT facts. They
follow
FROM AXIOMS in MODELS OF those axioms, and if the axioms FROM WHICH
these things follow are not "facts", then these things are not facts
either.
It may be a "fact" that these theorems follow from the axioms, but
that
is not even the same KIND of claim.

"Fact" is just not an appropriate kind of word to be using here.
And "Certainty" is NOT EVEN RELEVANT to this whole set of questions.

From: George Greene on
On Sep 21, 10:33 am, "Scott H" <nospam> wrote:
The gross over-generalizations are gross because they are over-.
"This language allows even the most complicated statements
to be written concisely to the occasional benefit of the reader's
comprehension."
is just silly. There is no such thing as "this langauge". There are
TONS AND
TONS OF DIFFERENT formal languages.
Unfortunately, the usual definitions of Formal languages depend in a
very critical
way on an INformal conception of "all finite" iterations of some
tactic,
and since this is an infinite number of finite things, certain
concepts
are sort of "sneaking" in.

The systems to which Godel's theorem applies are basically
self-contained. They do not have anything to do with certain
knowledge
about the outside world.
From: Frederick Williams on
Scott H wrote:

> I give a concise, formal proof and a short intuitive description of ZFC +
> ~G.
>
> http://www.hoge-essays.com/incompleteness.html
>
> Any constructive feedback is welcome.

What have Pr and Pr(a,b) got to do with the price of fish?

--
Which of the seven heavens / Was responsible her smile /
Wouldn't be sure but attested / That, whoever it was, a god /
From: |-|erc on
"George Greene" <greeneg(a)email.unc.edu> wrote
On Sep 21, 10:33 am, "Scott H" <nospam> wrote:
> Any constructive feedback is welcome.

The first constructive improvement you could make would be not
to over-claim in the first sentence. "we know for a fact that seven
circles touch,
that � is greater than 3, and that there are infinitely many prime
numbers"
is missing the point. We may "know" these things, but "for a fact" is
just
from the completely wrong realm. These things are NOT facts. They
follow
FROM AXIOMS in MODELS OF those axioms, and if the axioms FROM WHICH
these things follow are not "facts", then these things are not facts
either.
It may be a "fact" that these theorems follow from the axioms, but
that
is not even the same KIND of claim.

"Fact" is just not an appropriate kind of word to be using here.
And "Certainty" is NOT EVEN RELEVANT to this whole set of questions.

This is the same line Penrose uses, that you just have to draw the line somewhere
where a fact is a fact. And people here seem to follow the axiom->fact metaphor.

But I think it's overcautious. (some) Platonic knowledge should be verifiable without
the brain in a vat dilemma.

Herc