From: Roger 2008 on

"Roger 2008" <rwpcs(a)att.net> wrote in message
> I downloaded Google Maps for Mobile ver 3.3.1 yesterday and noticed there
is
> now a way to save your "Favorites" to their Server.
>
> Google Maps doesn't call them "Favorites" anymore they call them "Starred
> Items" and all you have to do to save or restore "Starred Items" is to log
> into your Google account. That means if you clear memory on your PPC you
> don't have to worry about losing your Google Maps for Mobile Favorites
> anymore.
>
> Plus Google Maps for Mobile 3.3.1 has made a few other changes since ver
> 3.2.0.
>
> 1. They make it easier to search for items around a particular area.
Just
> tap and hold the area you want . . .
>
> 2. When you are looking at a "Street View" you can pan up now instead of
> just left and right. Now if only they could add a Zoom feature on top of
> that.
>
> 3. The cursor is now more like the cursor in Bing instead of a ball with
> funky pointer.
>
> 4. The Menu has a few minor differences like the place you enable GPS has
> been moved to "Options."
>
> I might have missed some other changes but those changes certainly stood
> out.

I downloaded Google Maps for Mobile ver 4.1.0 a few days ago and noticed
there is now a way "to search by voice."

Show Traffic and Satellite View have been moved from the main menu into the
"Layers" sub menu. I didn't mind those options where they were.

The word Options was replaced by Settings and under the "Settings" sub menu
there is now a way to "Enable My Location" without also enabling the GPS but
if you disable My Location you also disable the GPS so that sort of sucks
because there are times when I want the GPS location only and not the
approximate location from the cell phone towers or what GMM calls: "My
Location."

The "Help" sub menu now shows a grayed out "Upgrade." Apparently they plan
to have further upgrades.

Google Maps for Mobile uses the call button to "search by voice" and I use
the call button to find out what GSM network I'm currently on since the
phone application will display the current network. It just so happens that
if you are using a pre paid SIM card your Internet will not work on certain
GSM providers. You can still make phone calls but there is no Internet.

I messed with the "search by voice" in 4.1.0 a bit and I'll probably go back
to using Google Maps for Mobile 3.3.1 for now.