From: Kim K on
Hello, I ahve done alot of reading and research but not coming up wiht
anything concrete, so I am asking for help.

I have a new system - new TB Sata HD, I want to put XP Pro on one partition,
and 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the other.

I know there are issues out there surrounding the restore points of XP, and
boot files seem to go on different partitions etc and want to know how to or
what is best to install this scenerio?

Which OS do I install first, what boot problems and files need
moved/corrected etc.
Is there a tutorial out there someplace for me to follow when installing?

Thanks for any direction anyone can give.
From: undisclosed on

Kim K;1788899 Wrote:
> Hello, I ahve done alot of reading and research but not coming up wiht
> anything concrete, so I am asking for help.
>
> I have a new system - new TB Sata HD, I want to put XP Pro on one
> partition,
> and 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the other.
>
> I know there are issues out there surrounding the restore points of XP,
> and
> boot files seem to go on different partitions etc and want to know how
> to or
> what is best to install this scenerio?
>
> Which OS do I install first, what boot problems and files need
> moved/corrected etc.
> Is there a tutorial out there someplace for me to follow when
> installing?
>
> Thanks for any direction anyone can give.

What you are trying to do is possible but very hard and xp and 7 will
conflict with each other. It would be far better and easier if you had 2
separate drives. If it was me i would set up 2 drives unplug one and
load my first os on it, unplug that one and plug the other back in and
load the second one (the unplugging thing is not necessary but
formatting the wrong drive can easily catch you out and i find its best
practise). All you would need to do is use boot manager and you'll be
problem free. Really it should work the same for separate partitions,
its just the boot option that will cause you problems and you have to
make 3 partitions your e: partition been for your data.
There is already loads of information out there, you only need to type
"2 os" into google and you can read through thousands of posts about it.
Some people struggle and others dont, if you think you will struggle
then your better off getting a second drive for your machine, you
wouldn't need to get a massive one just put your xp on a 250 gig or even
less and use your TB for your 7 and your data, the small investment will
save you a lot of time and effort. (that is only my opinion and advice)
Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

--
JAM_EZZ
From: Andy on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 16:48:12 -0700, Kim K
<KimK(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, I ahve done alot of reading and research but not coming up wiht
>anything concrete, so I am asking for help.
>
>I have a new system - new TB Sata HD, I want to put XP Pro on one partition,
>and 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the other.
>
>I know there are issues out there surrounding the restore points of XP, and
>boot files seem to go on different partitions etc and want to know how to or
>what is best to install this scenerio?
>
>Which OS do I install first, what boot problems and files need
>moved/corrected etc.
>Is there a tutorial out there someplace for me to follow when installing?
>
>Thanks for any direction anyone can give.

Install XP first, then Win 7. Other than the restore point problem,
they should work fine. The boot files for both operating systems will
go into the XP partition, which Microsoft calls the System partition.
From: Jim on
On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 16:48:12 -0700, Kim K
<KimK(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello, I ahve done alot of reading and research but not coming up wiht
>anything concrete, so I am asking for help.
>
>I have a new system - new TB Sata HD, I want to put XP Pro on one partition,
>and 7 Ultimate 64 bit on the other.
>
>I know there are issues out there surrounding the restore points of XP, and
>boot files seem to go on different partitions etc and want to know how to or
>what is best to install this scenerio?
>
>Which OS do I install first, what boot problems and files need
>moved/corrected etc.
>Is there a tutorial out there someplace for me to follow when installing?
>
>Thanks for any direction anyone can give.

Have a look at VirtualBox .