From: Asger-P on
Hi

I had to replace my motherboard, fortunately I got
one that was almost the same as the one i had, so
I didn't had to reinstall, but now XP wants to do
check disk at every startup on 4 of my partitions.

Is there a way that I can stop XP from doing that ?

p.s. the first time I did let XP do the check disk
all the way.

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Asger-P
From: Mark Adams on

"Asger-P" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I had to replace my motherboard, fortunately I got
> one that was almost the same as the one i had, so
> I didn't had to reinstall, but now XP wants to do
> check disk at every startup on 4 of my partitions.
>
> Is there a way that I can stop XP from doing that ?
>
> p.s. the first time I did let XP do the check disk
> all the way.
>

> Thanks in advance
> Best regards
> Asger-P
> .

You might need to do a repair install, see:

From: The poster formerly known as 'The Poster Formerly Known as Nina DiBoy' on
On 4/21/2010 6:58 AM, Asger-P wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had to replace my motherboard, fortunately I got
> one that was almost the same as the one i had, so
> I didn't had to reinstall, but now XP wants to do
> check disk at every startup on 4 of my partitions.
>
> Is there a way that I can stop XP from doing that ?
>
> p.s. the first time I did let XP do the check disk
> all the way.
>

> Thanks in advance
> Best regards
> Asger-P

Which partition/drive does it want to check? What were the results, any
bad sectors? Make a backup of all personal files and data and check to
make sure that the drive cable is connected firmly at both ends.

--
Sorry, iPad - iPass. I want a real keyboard, with real apps, real
multitasking, real freedom, and real choice.
From: John Wunderlich on
=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBBZGFtcw==?= <MarkAdams(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:F02B12B9-3CC7-46E2-8644-27E0DF713FDB(a)microsoft.com:

> "Asger-P" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I had to replace my motherboard, fortunately I got
>> one that was almost the same as the one i had, so
>> I didn't had to reinstall, but now XP wants to do
>> check disk at every startup on 4 of my partitions.
>>
>> Is there a way that I can stop XP from doing that ?
>>
>> p.s. the first time I did let XP do the check disk
>> all the way.
>>

>> Thanks in advance
>> Best regards
>> Asger-P
>> .
>>

> You might need to do a repair install, see:

I'll second that recommendation.
From the article:

"Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer"
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506>

One cause cited is a corrupted registry. Pulling the
hardware/motherboard out from under the OS and replacing it could
easily look like a corrupted registry to the OS. A Repair Install
should fix that.

HTH,
John
From: Asger-P on
Hi Mark and John

John wrote:
> I'll second that recommendation.
> From the article:

> "Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer"
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316506>

Thanks for Your replies, but I would very much like to avoid
a repair install, it always mess up every thing..:(
And in this case there is absolutely nothing wrong with my PC,
except for the check disk at startup, every thing works fine.

Last time I did a repair install it took almost to days before
everything was back to normal and at average I reboot once a
week, so I thing I will live with the check disk if there is
no other way then a repair install.

There must be a place where XP store the result of the
check disk, where it checks if its needed or not.

Thanks again
Best regards
Asger-P