From: Jeffrey Gaynor on
Hi,

I am making a first large project in python and am having quite a bit of difficulty unscrambling various python versions and what they can/cannot do. To wit, I must communicate with certain services via https and am required to perform certificate verification on them.

The problem is that I also have to do this under CentOS 5.5 which only uses python 2.4 as its default -- this is not negotiable. As near as I can tell from reading various posts, the https client does not do verification and there is no low-level SSL support to provide a workaround. Near as I can tell from reading, 2.6 does include this. Am I getting this right? Is there a simple way to do this? More to the point, I need to know pretty darn quick if this is impossible so we can try and plan for it.

So the quick question: Has anyone done certificate verification using 2.4 and if so, how?

Thanks!