From: Bee on
I just tried to reply to a question in the eternal september newsgroup uising
M$ Live Mail / Newsreader. That is all I have.
It gave me about five error messages saying it was having difficulty
resolving something or other.
I can read all the posts and download the headers and bodies using Live Mail
but may not be able to post questions or reply.
So .. please tell me what to use.
I need a newsreader that is free and works with eternal september that can
work on XP or Vista or Win7.
Suggestions please!

From: dpb on
Bee wrote:

> I need a newsreader that is free and works with eternal september that can
> work on XP or Vista or Win7.
> Suggestions please!

I've been using Mozilla's Thunderbird...there are quite a number of
newsreaders from which to choose.

From: GS on
Bee explained on 6/14/2010 :
> I just tried to reply to a question in the eternal september newsgroup uising
> M$ Live Mail / Newsreader. That is all I have.
> It gave me about five error messages saying it was having difficulty
> resolving something or other.
> I can read all the posts and download the headers and bodies using Live Mail
> but may not be able to post questions or reply.
> So .. please tell me what to use.
> I need a newsreader that is free and works with eternal september that can
> work on XP or Vista or Win7.
> Suggestions please!

Bee,
There must be something in your account setup in 'Live Mail' that's
causing the problem. I have no problem using it in Win7 x64 machine.

--
Garry

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tom Shelton formulated on Monday :
> Karl E. Peterson presented the following explanation :
>> I use MesNews now. Windows 7 forced my hand. Nary a regret. It's all OE
>> ever woulda/coulda/shoulda been!
>>
>> http://www.mesnews.net/gb/
>
> I guess it's ok if you like the graphical thing.

What graphical thing? Treeviews and listviews?

> Personally, I really,
> really miss my slrn - but something about eternal september has broken it.
> Not sure why, I've never had an issue on any other news server, but for some
> reason it crashes when I connect to es :(

Is that that old Pine-like thing? <g>

> To be honest I've used a text based news reader so long, it's taking almost
> as long to get used to mesnews as it has the msdn forums - which, even
> though, I've used them off and on for like 3 years, I still hate :)

It was a pretty easy switch over from OE, though. Very similar, except
that it works. (In all but one, non-fatal way.)

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: Tom Shelton on
Karl E. Peterson expressed precisely :
> Tom Shelton formulated on Monday :
>> Karl E. Peterson presented the following explanation :
>>> I use MesNews now. Windows 7 forced my hand. Nary a regret. It's all OE
>>> ever woulda/coulda/shoulda been!
>>>
>>> http://www.mesnews.net/gb/
>>
>> I guess it's ok if you like the graphical thing.
>
> What graphical thing? Treeviews and listviews?

Yep. I've always figured usnet was primarily a text based medium, so,
for a long time I've used a text based news reader.

>> Personally, I really, really miss my slrn - but something about eternal
>> september has broken it. Not sure why, I've never had an issue on any
>> other news server, but for some reason it crashes when I connect to es :(
>
> Is that that old Pine-like thing? <g>

Yep.. That's the one.

>> To be honest I've used a text based news reader so long, it's taking almost
>> as long to get used to mesnews as it has the msdn forums - which, even
>> though, I've used them off and on for like 3 years, I still hate :)
>
> It was a pretty easy switch over from OE, though. Very similar, except that
> it works. (In all but one, non-fatal way.)

I'm sure it was. I'm not knocking it. It's a fine news reader - I
just feel the same way about graphical news readers as I do web forums.
Both have taken sometime to get used to :)

--
Tom Shelton