From: MRAB on
Mark Young wrote:
> According to the Oxford Dictionary:
>
> *fish** noun <http://www.oup.com/oald-bin/#fish_noun>**, **verb
> <http://www.oup.com/oald-bin/#fish_verb>*noun *(**pl.**fish** or
> **fishes**)*Fish is the usual plural form. The older form, fishes, can
> be used to refer to different kinds of fish...
>
> However, I would correct anyone that ever used "fishes".

There's the phrase "sleep with the fishes", used by mobsters (in films,
at least). Would you correct such a person? :-)
From: Gregory Ewing on
rantingrick wrote:
> I ate
> three fishes just sounds wrong to me. What's the plural of sheep
> Stephen :-D

It's sheepses, isn't it? Am I missing something?

--
Greg
From: geremy condra on
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Gregory Ewing
<greg.ewing(a)canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> rantingrick wrote:
>>
>> I ate
>> three fishes just sounds wrong to me. What's the plural of sheep
>> Stephen :-D
>
> It's sheepses, isn't it? Am I missing something?

Shyp. Pronounced the same way, just spelled differently.

Geremy Condra
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: ODFPY