From: Arthur Shapiro on
The patient is a sporadically-used C610 - obviously a little anemic by modern
standards but which always has given a lovely image on the screen.

Recently the diagonal row of keys X, S, W, and 2 stopped functioning. They
work fine with an external keyboard.

OK, no big deal - replaced the keyboard.

It didn't fix the problem, to my surprise.

Other than the generic "the motherboard is pining for the fjords", can anyone
shed some light on this failure mode?

Art
From: BillW50 on
In news:hgrlpc$j40$1(a)si05.rsvl.unisys.com,
Arthur Shapiro typed on Tue, 22 Dec 2009 23:46:23 GMT:
> The patient is a sporadically-used C610 - obviously a little anemic
> by modern standards but which always has given a lovely image on the
> screen.
>
> Recently the diagonal row of keys X, S, W, and 2 stopped functioning.
> They work fine with an external keyboard.
>
> OK, no big deal - replaced the keyboard.
>
> It didn't fix the problem, to my surprise.
>
> Other than the generic "the motherboard is pining for the fjords",
> can anyone shed some light on this failure mode?

Nope Art, that is pretty much it. As it sounds like only one wire isn't
making it to the keyboard controller. Could be fixed if you knew where
to solder the jumper wire too probably. Although this is a long shot,
but how about almost clamping down on very fine sandpaper and then
sliding it out a few times. Then install and try the keyboard once
again?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2