From: Gerard Bok on

http://www.enigmahistory.org/enigma.html

--
met vriendelijke groet,
Gerard Bok

From: Artie Choke on
On Nov 19, 5:43 am, "wjhopw...(a)aol.com" <wjhopw...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On Nov 18, 6:35 pm, Felix Reuthner wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > a question about code-breaking in WWII:
> >..... How did the code-breakers identify the correctly
> > decrypted text among the zillions of garbled attempts?
>
> Simply put, when the text of the message made sense
> they knew they had broken it.
>
> > Did they have the possibility to check for sequences
> > that usually appeared in a transmission?
>
> In essence, yes. Successful decoding depended on
> finding the correct key to theEnigmawheel settings
> for that message and probably all the other messages
> transmitted that day..

Something nobody has mentioned yet is the "indicator". The operator
"randomly" chose a particular 3-letter message key which was supposed
be different for each message (though often as not it was his
girlfriend's initials or something equally non-random!) He then
enciphered the key twice using the standard settings for the day,
before turning the wheels to the key value and enciphering the rest of
the message. The fact that the message key was enciphered _twice_
introduced a pattern which leaked some information about the daily
settings. This was used in some of the early Polish cryptanalysis.

Lots more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptanalysis_of_the_Enigma

From: Rich Rostrom on
On Nov 18, 5:35 pm, Felix Reuthner <s...(a)reuthner.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> a question about code-breaking in WWII:
> Correct me If I'm wrong, but basically it worked like that: German radio
> traffic was encrypted wit ENIGMA machines and settings that were changed
> daily. In Bletchley Park, they had a nifty machine (or many)...

These were called the "bombes". Some were at
Bletchley Park, but most were elsewhere, at
sites linked to BP by teleprinters.

After the U.S. entered the war, U.S. resources
were added to the fight. U.S. analysts went to
work at BP, and the U.S. built and operated a
"fleet" of additional bombes. (Mostly to attack
Kriegsmarine traffic, which was often intercepted
in the U.S.) The U.S. bombes were based on the
British design, but incorporated some improvements
of their own.

> that could
> go trough all possible settings (usually within a few hours), so it
> could find the correct setting for the day. After that, decrypting all
> German radio traffic for the given day was trivial.

This leaves out a lot of details.

For one thing, the Germans had separate
Enigma keys for each service. The settings
used at any given moment by the Luftwaffe,
Heer, and Kriegsmarine were different. As
the war continued, additional separate keys
were established for branches of service
and theaters of operation.

For instance, the Kriegsmarine keys included

HYDRA - general navy operations
TETIS - U-boat training command
TRITON - U-boat operations
SUD - Mediterranean operations
MEDUSA - Mediterranean operations
NEPTUN - battleships, pocket battleships, and cruisers

and several others I can't think of right now.

Thus, breaking an Enigma key would
allow BP to read all traffic on that
key for that day - but only that key.
(And late in the war, some keys were
changed up to three times a day!)

The other important point was that
the bombes were not available at all
until mid-1941. By 1942, there were
a few dozen working, but far more were
needed - the "fleet" ultimately numbered
in the hundreds, including bombes built
and operated by the U.S.

Thus, for the first half of the war,
the codebreakers had to use other
methods.

The original method, which had been
developed by the Poles, attacked a
weakness in the German message format.
The first six letters of the cipher
text in a message were a three letter
group that was repeated. The Poles had
also deduced the wiring of the scrambler
wheels of the German Enigma. They had
further realized that it was not always
possible for an Enigma to cipher a given
letter to the same cipher value three
positions later in the same message. If,
in the ciphertext of that six-letter
preamble, a letter occurred in positions
1 and 4, or 2 and 5, or 3 and 6, that
would rule out some Enigma settings.
Twenty or so messages with such repeats
could pin down the exact setting.

The Allies (Britain, France, and Poles
in exile) used this method to break into
Enigma in early 1940; they read several
thousand Enigma message. Then in May, the
Germans changed their format, dropping
that three letter repetition.

The Allies (after June 1940, the British)
kept going through other tricks, all based
on German sloppiness: Sillies, the Herivel
Tip, and Parkerismus.

> Now the 1000$ question: How did the code-breakers identify the correctly
> decrypted text among the zillions of garbled attempts? Did they have the
> possibility to check for sequences that usually appeared in a
> transmission?

Yes. The entire system of breaking
Enigma through bombes depended on
having some knowledge of what the
text of some message on a key was.

Such guessed or known message texts
were called cribs.

For instance, Enigma could never
cipher a letter to itself. If the
analyst thought a particular text
occurred somewere in a message,
he could line up the crib text with
the ciphertext and see if any
letters matched, shifting the crib
text till there were no matches.

There were other analytical tricks
used. The procedure involved setting
up a bombe with a cleartext, a
ciphertext, and a starting position
of the scrambler wheels. The bombe
would tick through the possible
combinations, stopping if at any
point the ciphertext "came through".

The bombes were operated by a small
army (over 2,000 by 1945) of "Wrens"
(Women's Royal Navy Service).

Now, where did the analysts get their
cribs?

If one had been reading the traffic
on a particular key on Monday, Tuesday,
and Wednesday, it was usually possible
to guess what would appear in messages
sent on Thursday. The names and titles
of message senders and recipients were
often useful, and in German such phrases
could be quite long ("STURMBANNFUHRER
VONDEMBACHZELEWSKI", "GENERAL DER
PANZERTRUPPE VONSCHWEPPENBURG"). However,
these assigments could change frequently,
and German operators were taught to scatter
a few random Xs into such phrases.

Stereotyped reports were also useful.
BP became quite fond of a German officer
at an observation post in the impassable
Qattara Depression, who reported every
day that he had nothing to report.

The phrase "AN IDA BISON" was a very
common crib. It represented "A1B", the
designation of the staff officer for
intelligence at a particular HQ.

Yet another source of cribs was the
retransmission of messages on different
keys. Sometimes the message was sent
with Enigma and also some lower-grade
system; or a message sent on a broken
Enigma key was resent unchanged on a
different key. The Germans were very
sloppy about this.

However, it was not always easy for the
British to use this. Sometimes, to break
one key with very "hot" traffic, it was
necessary first to break another key,
which might have nothing of interest
itself, but would provide a crib on the
other key.

Continuity was also extremely important;
the analysts needed to read a key every
day, whether there was anything valuable
on it or not, to be able to read it later
on if it became "hot".

In one area, the British had a huge
advantage. This was the traffic of the
Abwehr (German espionage service). Much
of the Abwehr's message traffic was
reports from or orders to their agents
in Britain - who were all double agents
under British control. So of course the
British had a wealth of cribs for that key.

> IIRC, there actually were attempts to get the Germans to
> send specific texts...

For Abwehr Enigma, planting cribs was
trivial. If the British passed on some
apparently "hot" secret document, the
Abwehr could not resist transmitting the
original text to Berlin to show off with.

> For example, if five enemy bombers are observed
> dropping mines in a specific location, the British
> could guess what the German radio operator would report.

The British did this regularly; the
practice was called "gardening".

From: Don Phillipson on
"Felix Reuthner" <spam(a)reuthner.net> wrote in message

> . . . How did the code-breakers identify the correctly
> decrypted text among the zillions of garbled attempts? Did they have the
> possibility to check for sequences that usually appeared in a
> transmission?

Methods included:
1. Brute force (all possible combinations), facilitated by
the "bombes" (programmable electro-mechanical machines.)
2. Exclusion of negative possibilities: e.g. most ciphers include
(Rule A) that no letter P may be enciphered as itself = P
(Rule B) that no reciprocal Q=R may occur elsewhere as R=Q
These two rules function negatively in any deciphering programme:
i.e. any setting which permits non-A or non-B can be skipped as
a wrong setting: and brute force methods may usefully winnow
out and discard such non-rule keys.
3. Enemy breaches of good cipher practice, e.g. replicating
standard terminology in short routine messages (such as
weather reports), e.g. using the same word or the same
number of nonsense characters as filler material to pad
out a message to standard length.

For details see only recent books such as:
Sebag-Montefiore, Enigma: the Battle for the Code (2000)
Simon Singh, The Code Book (1999)
Calvocoressi, Top Secret Ultra (1985)
Earlier books (e.g. by Kahn, Lewin, Winterbotham) do not
really answer your question (i.e. were perhaps censored.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

From: Greg Rose on
In article <he73s5$ees$1(a)theodyn.ncf.ca>,
Don Phillipson <e925(a)SPAMBLOCK.ncf.ca> wrote:
>[...]
>2. Exclusion of negative possibilities: e.g. most ciphers include
>(Rule A) that no letter P may be enciphered as itself = P

This is certainly true of the Enigma, but is
certainly *not* true of "most ciphers". In fact it
would be considered a serious weakness in any
modern cipher.

>(Rule B) that no reciprocal Q=R may occur elsewhere as R=Q

Again, the enigma actually enforces this; at a
given place in the operation, if plaintext R would
be enciphered to ciphertext Q, it is certainly the
case that plaintext Q would be enciphered as R. In
fact, that is exactly how the operators decrypted!
As for your "elsewhere", I don't know quite what
you mean; at other points in the encryption
process, it is entirely likely that this might
happen, basically by chance.

Greg.
--
Greg Rose
232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C