From: Abigail on
Yesterday I downloaded and installed Python 3.1 and working through some
examples but I have hit a problem

>>> a = raw_input("Enter a number" )
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in <module>
a = raw_input("Enter a number" )
NameError: name 'raw_input' is not defined>>>a = raw_input("Enter a number
")

What am I doing wrong?

From: Chris Rebert on
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Abigail <spam(a)removethis.btinternet.com> wrote:
> Yesterday I downloaded and installed Python 3.1 and working through some
> examples but I have hit a problem

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in <module>
>    a = raw_input("Enter a number" )
> NameError: name 'raw_input' is not defined>>>a = raw_input("Enter a number
> ")
>
> What am I doing wrong?

raw_input() got renamed to just input().
Please read the 3.x transition docs at
http://docs.python.org/3.1/whatsnew/3.0.html

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com
From: Robert Kern on
On 2010-02-24 11:39 AM, Abigail wrote:
> Yesterday I downloaded and installed Python 3.1 and working through some
> examples but I have hit a problem

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in<module>
> a = raw_input("Enter a number" )
> NameError: name 'raw_input' is not defined>>>a = raw_input("Enter a number
> ")
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Python 3 changed the name of raw_input() to input() (and the old input() method
that evaluates the string was simply thrown out as being redundant and unsafe).

http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

From: John Posner on
On 2/24/2010 12:39 PM, Abigail wrote:
> Yesterday I downloaded and installed Python 3.1 and working through some
> examples but I have hit a problem

> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in<module>
> a = raw_input("Enter a number" )
> NameError: name 'raw_input' is not defined>>>a = raw_input("Enter a number
> ")
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The Python 2 built-in function "raw_input" has been renamed to "input"
in Python 3. You'll probably run into this, too:

Python 2: print "hello, world"
Python 3: print("hello, world")

You might want to install Python 2 if you're working your way through a
tutorial that's targeted at that "generation" of the language.

-John

From: Abigail on
Thank You