From: dbd on
On Mar 17, 3:09 pm, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> Right. As both of us have noted, the definitions can be used. The
> question of interest, I believe, is how to implement the calculation
> with maximal use of FFTs, which means how to calculate the shift
> dependent normalization factor with FFTs assuming it is efficient to
> do so.
>
> Dirk

Will it help if I say "shift" the data through y instead of "slide"?
There is no more to it than that. Calculate the FFT on time varying
data in y at whatever strides (and thus, output sampling frequency)
you wish to move through the data with.

Dale B. Dalrymple
From: Dirk Bell on
On Mar 17, 7:35 pm, dbd <d...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 3:09 pm, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Right. As both of us have noted, the definitions can be used. The
> > question of interest, I believe, is how to implement the calculation
> > with maximal use of FFTs, which means how to calculate the shift
> > dependent normalization factor with FFTs assuming it is efficient to
> > do so.
>
> > Dirk
>
> Will it help if I say "shift" the data through y instead of "slide"?
> There is no more to it than that. Calculate the FFT on time varying
> data in y at whatever strides (and thus, output sampling frequency)
> you wish to move through the data with.
>
> Dale B. Dalrymple

No really. Perhaps if you said what the data was you were talking
about you would answer the OP's question.

Dirk
From: Dirk Bell on
On Mar 17, 7:35 pm, dbd <d...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 3:09 pm, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Right. As both of us have noted, the definitions can be used. The
> > question of interest, I believe, is how to implement the calculation
> > with maximal use of FFTs, which means how to calculate the shift
> > dependent normalization factor with FFTs assuming it is efficient to
> > do so.
>
> > Dirk
>
> Will it help if I say "shift" the data through y instead of "slide"?
> There is no more to it than that. Calculate the FFT on time varying
> data in y at whatever strides (and thus, output sampling frequency)
> you wish to move through the data with.
>
> Dale B. Dalrymple

Not really. Perhaps if you said what the data is you are talking

From: dbd on
On Mar 18, 8:13 am, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:

> Not really. Perhaps if you said what the data is you are talking
> about you would answer the OP's question.
>
> Dirk

The answer to the OP's question is "yes" and the description of the
calculation is in the first reference. The OP is welcome to ask for
any further clarification desired.

My remarks are in terms of the reference I gave (and the notation in):
The normalized correlation calculated by fft as described in section 3
on page 15 of:
http://www.bksv.com/pdf/Bv0013.pdf
Dual Channel FFT Analysis (Part I)
Technical review No. 1 - 1984

Usenet text does not provide a convenient substitute for math formulas
that are available in references. I've taken the time to provide a
price free accessible reference for that reason. And pointed to a
particular section in the reference. Your previous responses led me to
assume you were capable of accessing and reading the reference. If
not, what kind of assistance in accessing the internet do you need?

Dale B. Dalrymple

From: Dirk Bell on
On Mar 18, 12:22 pm, dbd <d...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On Mar 18, 8:13 am, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:

> > Not really. Perhaps if you said what the data is you are talking
> > about you would answer the OP's question.
>
> > Dirk
>
> The answer to the OP's question is "yes" and the description of the
> calculation is in the first reference. The OP is welcome to ask for
> any further clarification desired.
>
> My remarks are in terms of the reference I gave (and the notation in):
> The normalized correlation calculated by fft as described in section 3
> on page 15 of:http://www.bksv.com/pdf/Bv0013.pdf
> Dual Channel FFT Analysis (Part I)
> Technical review No. 1 - 1984
>
> Usenet text does not provide a convenient substitute for math formulas
> that are available in references. I've taken the time to provide a
> price free accessible reference for that reason. And pointed to a
> particular section in the reference. Your previous responses led me to
> assume you were capable of accessing and reading the reference. If
> not, what kind of assistance in accessing the internet do you need?
>
> Dale B. Dalrymple

Dale,

I don't need any assistance, I am not the OP.

I think the OP needs to know how to compute the one normalization
factor function using FFTs.

Dirk