From: Mike De Petris on
I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 - S4777 that works perfect while on
battery, but the instance i plug the charger in, it freezes. First i
thought it was a Vista-Toshiba issue but only to discover that even in
BIOS it freezes instantly when the charger is plugged in. When the
laptop is off, any attempt to power it on while the charger is plugged
in, results only in a flicker of the power led.
I tried different chargers, ANY possible power options combinations in
Vista and Win7.

If I boot from battery and enter Windows Safe Mode, or Hiren's boot
CD, or WinXP mini all works fine even if I connect the power cord,
where normal Windows and BIOS freeze istantly.

I'm even thing of giving current directly by the battery contacts...
may this be possible?

Any help or advice on possible causes or solution to this issue would
be grateful. Thank you :)
From: the wharf rat on
In article <fd312ad0-bf0a-477f-8c5a-78b4aaa91990(a)e14g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Mike De Petris <mikedepetris(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 - S4777 that works perfect while on
>battery, but the instance i plug the charger in, it freezes. First i

Short in the charger, the battery, or the charging circuits.

From: Mike De Petris on
On Apr 24, 10:03 pm, w...(a)panix.com (the wharf rat) wrote:
> In article <fd312ad0-bf0a-477f-8c5a-78b4aaa91...(a)e14g2000yqd.googlegroups..com>,
> Mike De Petris  <mikedepet...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 - S4777 that works perfect while on
> >battery, but the instance i plug the charger in, it freezes. First i
>
>         Short in the charger, the  battery, or the charging circuits.

even if it works in safe mode or booting Hiren's CD?
From: Mike De Petris on
On Apr 24, 10:15 pm, Mike De Petris <mikedepet...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 24, 10:03 pm, w...(a)panix.com (the wharf rat) wrote:
>
> > In article <fd312ad0-bf0a-477f-8c5a-78b4aaa91...(a)e14g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
> > Mike De Petris  <mikedepet...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > >I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 - S4777 that works perfect while on
> > >battery, but the instance i plug the charger in, it freezes. First i
>
> >         Short in the charger, the  battery, or the charging circuits.
>
> even if it works in safe mode or booting Hiren's CD?

don't know what more to check!
From: BillW50 on
In
Mike De Petris typed on Sat, 8 May 2010 02:56:13 -0700 (PDT):
> On Apr 24, 10:15 pm, Mike De Petris <mikedepet...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Apr 24, 10:03 pm, w...(a)panix.com (the wharf rat) wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <fd312ad0-bf0a-477f-8c5a-78b4aaa91...(a)e14g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Short in the charger, the battery, or the charging circuits.
>>
>> even if it works in safe mode or booting Hiren's CD?
>
> don't know what more to check!

Under the Device Manager, look under Batteries and find "Microsoft AC
Adapter" (hopefully you have one or similar). Right click and select
properties. Then select don't use this device and then see what happens.

I have no idea what will happen. It could start working normally. Or not
detect the AC adapter when Windows is running is my two guesses. But it
would be interesting to see what happens. But it sounds like an ACPI
driver issue to me if it is software related. Does Toshiba have Windows
7 ACPI drivers?

It is troubling that it locks up in the BIOS Setup menu too. But not
from Windows Safe Mode, Hiren's boot CD, or WinXP mini. That really
suggests a hardware problem. And it isn't the AC adapter since you have
changed this.

Yes you should be able to power the laptop through the battery
connections. Might be as simple as just using the negative and positive
connections. Although the AC adapter puts out far more voltage than what
the battery would hold. And this would most likely take out the laptop.
So I would use an AC adapter that puts out the range of the battery
voltage instead. And never connect power directly to the battery. As the
battery will burst into flames!

If it doesn't turn out to be this simple. The battery also has
connections that are related to the safety circuits within the battery.
Thus they might have to be emulated or fooled before the laptop will
take power from these connections.

I always thought a good product to come out with for those clone battery
manufactures would be fake batteries that has an AC adapter jack. And
have a voltage regulator inside to knock the voltage down to acceptable
range. Thus this would be great for those who has a damaged AC jack or
those who has a problem that it won't run off of AC but it does fine
from battery.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Windows XP SP3