From: מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן on
A few weeks ago I have read, in this DG, an answer regarding this issue.
I hardly remember the answer but it had to do with "Wrapping" and if the
number of characters typed are between X and Y the result will be #######.
I will appreciate if anyone can provide a direct link to that thread [I'm
sure that who responded, to that question, will be able to locate it for me].
Thanks in advance,
Micky
From: Niek Otten on
Hi Micky,

Although it is a lot less ago than a gew weeks, you may mean this one:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/1a66143d29428cf0/84b4437d23a68efd?q=number+characters+in+cell+group:*Excel*#84b4437d23a68efd

Mind the line breaks in the URL

Or check directly microsoft.public.excel.misc, Apr 8, 6:27 PM

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

From: Dave Peterson on
This question has been posted lots of times and responded to even more!

If you see ###'s in a cell that's formatted as text and the length of the string
is between 255 and 1024, you'll have this trouble.

Change the format to General and the problem goes away.

It's not a problem with wrapping the text. It's a problem with the text format
and the length of the string.

But there can be a problem seeing more than about 1000 characters in a cell --
with or without wrapping.

One way around the problem is to insert alt-enters (to force new lines within
the cell) every 80-100 characters. You may have to manually adjust the
rowheight to see much more of the text.

--

Dave Peterson
From: מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן on
Thanks for responding.
I don't know if microsoft.public.excel.misc is the same as "Discussions in
Excel General Questions" but even of so - this is, unfortunately, not what
I'm looking for.
The 1'024 displayed versus 32,767 typed is very well known to me.
The thread I'm looking for dealt with some sort of displaying ###### while
no wrapping nor changing the cells size fixed the problem.
Someone responded and said that the problem raises if the user types an
amount of characters.
[He mentioned 2 figures, which I don't remember. They could have been
between 512 and 1024]
I also don't remember if the problem had something to do with "Excel"s
version [maybe "2007" or "2010"]
Unfortunately, the Search feature - while after a string or posts of by
supporter name - in al DG "su*ks
It returns only one page with non-sorted posts etc...
I still hope someone will remember/find this post or the one who responded
will see my question.
Micky

From: מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן on
Thank you.
The 255-1024 was what I was looking for.
BUT I still have one important question because of the IF [quote]:
"If you see ###'s in a cell that's formatted as text and the length of the
string
is between 255 and 1024, you'll have this trouble".

*** Is there any chance that upon typing 256 characters in a General
formatted cell could lead to displaying all the 256(!) characters without the
###'s ?
Micky