From: Glen on
Hi,

Can someone please let us know how to enable the "Numeric Keypad"
input in the VI Editor.

Whenever I use it, there is a carriage return and some unwanted
alphabets are entered in the new line.

Thanks in advance,
Glen
> Can someone please let us know how to enable the "Numeric Keypad"
> input in the VI Editor.

How about using the NumLock key?

> Whenever I use it, there is a carriage return and some unwanted
> alphabets are entered in the new line.

Most probably because it generates the ESC sequences for Pos1, End, PgUp,
PgDown etc.
That's what it does if NumLock is not set.

Bye, Jojo

From: Joachim Schmitz on
Glen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please let us know how to enable the "Numeric Keypad"
> input in the VI Editor.
>
> Whenever I use it, there is a carriage return and some unwanted
> alphabets are entered in the new line.

Another possibility:

:map ^V<pos1> 1
:map ^V<uparrow> 8

etc. ^V is Control V, <key> is the key from numpad

Bye, Jojo
From: OldSchool on
On Dec 24, 1:04 am, Glen <rajagopalan...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please let us know how to enable the "Numeric Keypad"
> input in the VI Editor.
>
> Whenever I use it, there is a carriage return and some unwanted
> alphabets are entered in the new line.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Glen

it can also be as simple as having an incorrect/inappropriate $TERM
variable, or settings misconfiguration in a terminal emulator.

what are you using to connect? what OS is the system you are
connecting to? and what does "echo $TERM" show when run at the command
line