From: Nobody on
"Vanny" <lim_v(a)bls.gov> wrote in message
> The error happened when open the connection. Here is the piece of code
>
> cnnDBF.Open "Driver=Microsoft Visual Foxpro Driver; " & _
> "UID=;SourceType=DBF;" & _
> "SourceDB=" & pstrFileName
> I try to find the info how to change the code to work with VFP version 9
> driver or what file should be added along ?

See:

OLE DB Provider for Visual FoxPro
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/0xzsac67(VS.71).aspx

From: Ralph on

> Thank for your response. Our users have Visual Foxpro 9 driver and
software
> installed in their machines. Like you mention, we notice that the new ODBC
> driver that comes with Version 9, does not function as the old one even it
> has the same name (Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver ). I could make the
> application work by applying the VFPODBC.msi which put the driver back to
> 6.01.8629.01 version. ...

> ... My question is : could this old driver harms the
> other functions of VPF9??

Yes. Assuming "harms" means break the ability to work with version 9 files.
None of the new features would be available, as well as several "older"
features have slightly different behaviors and requirements.

I was not suggesting you *replace* the VFP9 Driver, but supply the VFP6 ODBC
driver as well. You can have both available. I only made that suggestion
when it appeared you were using the driver to access DBF or xBase files and
were dependent on ODBC as the connectivity layer.

You can use the newer driver to connect to older versions of FoxPro, as well
as provide a connectivity layer for most data access libraries. Therefore,
*why* do you want to avoid OLE DB? Or why is it important to use an ODBC
driver?

-ralph
[You might also post to a FoxPro newsgroup. You will find people far more
experienced with VFP than I, plus many have struggled with this switch
already.]

From: Paul Clement on
On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:07:53 -0500, "Vanny" <lim_v(a)bls.gov> wrote:

� We have a VB6 application that works fine up to version 6 when using
� Microsoft Visual Foxpro driver (6.01.8629.01) to connect to a .dbf file .
� With Visual Foxpro version 9 (driver version 1.00.02.00) run on XP it gives
� the error message:
� [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function. Is
� this the problem with the new odbc driver or something else? If true, how to
� fix it without moving to OLEDB.

� Thanks in advance for help
� Vanny

I would highly recommend switching to the Visual FoxPro OLEDB Provider as Nobody suggested. The 6.0
version of the ODBC driver is no longer supported.

You could also try the Visual FoxPro forum but I suspect they will tell you the same thing.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/visualfoxprogeneral/threads

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
From: Vanny on
I would like also to have both drivers installed in the same machine,
however when I run VFPODBC.msi it replaces the new one with the version 6
b/c they both have the same name for vfpodbc.dll.

The reason we do not want to change to OLEDB b/c we do not want to release a
new code now but find a quick way to allow customers with VFP9 to also run
the job.

I will look for more info in the Foxpro newsgroup.

Thanks again for suggestion
Vanny

From: Ralph on

> I would like also to have both drivers installed in the same machine,
> however when I run VFPODBC.msi it replaces the new one with the version 6
> b/c they both have the same name for vfpodbc.dll.
>
> The reason we do not want to change to OLEDB b/c we do not want to release
> new code now but find a quick way to allow customers with VFP9 to also run
> the job.
>
> I will look for more info in the Foxpro newsgroup.

I'm not certain that the VFP9 OLEDB driver would require any radical code
changes to your code - it is "backward compatible" to a large degree. Have
you tried it?

Posting to a newsgroup where FoxPro users hang out is a good idea.

-ralph

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Freehand Lasso