From: JoJo on
Hello:

I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
(OE6) is my main email application.
Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has a
corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.

* Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
?
* If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
* Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do I
need the Server also ?

I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
from OE6 to something higher.

Thanks,
JoJo.

From: C on
JoJo wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
> (OE6) is my main email application.
> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has a
> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>
> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
> ?
> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do I
> need the Server also ?
>
> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
> from OE6 to something higher.
>

> Thanks,
> JoJo.

OE is history. No more updates. No new versions. I would suggest using
Thunderbird as it is a FAR superior product to Outhouse Distress. It has
an excellent junk filter, corrects your spelling as you type and has
hundreds of add ons like a calendar and a to do function. Get it at
http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird.

From: SC Tom on

<JoJo> wrote in message news:u1N8wOutKHA.3360(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hello:
>
> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
> (OE6) is my main email application.
> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>
> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
> ?
> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do
> need the Server also ?
>
> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message rules)
> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
> from OE6 to something higher.
>

> Thanks,
> JoJo.

OE6 is it, no more to come. It has been replaced (for all intents and
purposes) by Windows Live Mail.

Outlook can be used as a stand-alone application, no problem. Keep in mind
that to access newsgroups with it, you'll need one of the add-ons, such as
this http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/nntp/ , or use a separate program
altogether.

There are also plenty of non-Microsoft email and newsreader clients, and a
number of email/newsreader combos. Run a few of them and see which works
best for what you are trying to do.
--
SC Tom

From: Tom Willett on
You've done a good job of multiposting this same question everywhere.

:
: I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
: (OE6) is my main email application.
: Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
: corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
:
: * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or 8
: ?
: * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
: * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or do
: need the Server also ?
:

From: SC Tom on

"C" <c(a)nospamers.com.invalid> wrote in message
> JoJo wrote:
>> Hello:
>>
>> I am using Microsoft's Windows XP (SP3) platform and Outlook Express 6
>> (OE6) is my main email application.
>> Recently I installed Internet Explorer 8 and so I am wondering if OE6 has
>> corresponding upgrade to say OE7 or OE8.
>>
>> * Can Outlook Express 6 (OE6) be upgraded to say Outlook Express 7 or
>> 8
>> ?
>> * If this upgrade is possible; I am interested in how to do it ?
>> * Can Microsoft Outlook client work as a stand alone application or
>> do I
>> need the Server also ?
>>
>> I like OE6 but I need to be able to add audio alarms (using message
>> rules)
>> when certain emails arrive. Thus the need to upgrade
>> from OE6 to something higher.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> JoJo.
>>

> OE is history. No more updates. No new versions. I would suggest using
> Thunderbird as it is a FAR superior product to Outhouse Distress. It has
> an excellent junk filter, corrects your spelling as you type and has
> hundreds of add ons like a calendar and a to do function. Get it at
> http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird.

You should try the newer version. You'll have even more fun!
--
SC Tom