From: Grant Likely on
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:23 AM, David Miller <davem(a)davemloft.net> wrote:
> From: David Miller <davem(a)davemloft.net>
> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:20:43 -0800 (PST)
>
>> Three or four of the patches don't apply because only your tree
>> has those "/* temporary */" comments, f.e. in arch/sparc/kernel/pci.c
>>
>> I took care of this when applying to my tree.
>
> It also doesn't build, what the heck is this against
> Grant?
>
> drivers/of/device.c: In function 'of_match_device':
> drivers/of/device.c:24: error: 'const struct device' has no member named 'of_node'
> drivers/of/device.c:26: error: 'const struct device' has no member named 'of_node'
>
> Please make a patch set against Linus's vanilla tree so
> I and others can test this.

Oops, sorry David, I accidentally dropped the top patch. Give me a
moment and I'll send it out.

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.
From: David Miller on
From: Grant Likely <grant.likely(a)secretlab.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:03:47 -0700

> Currently on OF enabled platforms, the device node pointer is stored in
> both device.archdata.of_node (.prom_node on sparc), and in of_device.node
> OF device tree support is being generalized to work on any platform, so
> instead of adding the of_node pointer to each platform's archdata
> individually, this patch series moves the of_node pointer into struct
> device proper and fixes up all users to reference the new location.
>
> The last 3 patches in this series remove the old .archdata.of_node,
> .archdata.prom_node and of_device.node instances.
>
> This series has been compile tested on powerpc, sparc and microblaze,
> (allmodconfig used on sparc and powerpc) and boot tested on an mpc5200
> powerpc. All known (or at least all I could find) in-tree users of the
> old names have been removed.

Three or four of the patches don't apply because only your tree
has those "/* temporary */" comments, f.e. in arch/sparc/kernel/pci.c

I took care of this when applying to my tree.

> This series should also be fully bisectable. After I collect acks, I
> would like to get this whole series into linux-next to see if I've
> missed any references, but I can probably hold off merging the last
> three patches when the 2.6.35 merge window opens to give out of tree
> users a bit more time to adapt. In fact, I'd probably wait a few
> extra days after pushing out the bulk of this series before I push the
> last 3 patches into my linux-next branch to isolate the drivers that I
> missed while fixing.

I'd rather you just apply the sparc one immediately in 2.6.35 and
not wait at all.

From: David Miller on
From: Grant Likely <grant.likely(a)secretlab.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:25:46 -0700

> Oops, sorry David, I accidentally dropped the top patch. Give me a
> moment and I'll send it out.

Sorry, now that you've just bombed us with 27 patches to
the same area, I've totally lost interest in testing this
work.
From: David Miller on
From: David Miller <davem(a)davemloft.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:20:43 -0800 (PST)