From: Daffy Duck on
I have C2D E6850 running at 3.4GHZ with 4GB of DDR2 ram. Will going to
i7 860 with 4GB DDR3 give me much of a performance boost? I will OC the
cpu but not by a lot. I only do mild to medium OC so I don't have to get
into exotic cooling solutions and don't need to up the cpu or ram
voltage. Let's say I ran the i7 860 at 3.4GHZ too, clock for clock how
much faster is the i7 compared to my C2D E6850?
From: Daffy Duck on
Daffy Duck wrote:
> I have C2D E6850 running at 3.4GHZ with 4GB of DDR2 ram. Will going to
> i7 860 with 4GB DDR3 give me much of a performance boost? I will OC the
> cpu but not by a lot. I only do mild to medium OC so I don't have to get
> into exotic cooling solutions and don't need to up the cpu or ram
> voltage. Let's say I ran the i7 860 at 3.4GHZ too, clock for clock how
> much faster is the i7 compared to my C2D E6850?

As a service to anyone else considering the same question:

Read this and then decide.

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=857&p=0

The article has me convinced to buy i5 750 instead of i7 860 because it
is a better bang-for-buck upgrade. Ordered i5 750 ($219.99 CAD), Asus
P7P55D LE mb ($149.99 CAD), and G.Skill Ripjaw CAS7 2x2GB DDR3
1600($128.49 CAD, splurged a bit here and could have ordered lesser ram
for $90.00 CAD).
From: peter on
Being Canadian and looking to buy some new parts may
I ask where you purchased...those prices are pretty good from what
I've seen.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

From: Jim on
Not much. Another 5870 would be better use of $.

From: Wile E. Coyote on
peter wrote:
> Being Canadian and looking to buy some new parts may
> I ask where you purchased...those prices are pretty good from what
> I've seen.
>
> peter

newegg.ca

If you bundle the mb and cpu together they give you $15.00 off.

Yesterday I also ordered Seasonic S12 850w PSU for $139.99 (after $20.00
mail in rebate) and Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cpu heatsink/fan for $79.99 from
NCIX.com. I read the article at legion hardware on how to OC the i5 750
to 4.2GHZ so bought the same hardware they used to try and achieve the
same OC.