From: herwin on
I'm looking for an object oriented software engineering textbook that's
about at the level of Lethbridge and Laganiere, but uses C# instead of
Java.

Any leads?
From: johnzabroski on
On May 27, 3:43 am, her...(a)btinternet.com.invalid wrote:
> I'm looking for an object oriented software engineering textbook that's
> about at the level of Lethbridge and Laganiere, but uses C# instead of
> Java.
>
> Any leads?

I would not recommend learning about object-oriented software
engineering from a book about a language. It is probably better for
you to state what your objectives are, rather than asking a poor
question that is difficult to give a quality answer to.

I am not familiar with Lethbridge and Laganiere's book, either. From
amazon.com, it appears to contain the authors' academic work (Object
Client-Server Framework) along with a brief coverage of patterns.
Check out Design Patterns by Christopher Lasater for an in-depth
coverage of design patterns using the C# language. I've not read this,
but have seen many people recommend it.
From: herwin on
In article
<28179b3d-ba57-40f3-b7de-e8ed8f436d59(a)b21g2000vbh.googlegroups.com>,
"johnzabroski(a)gmail.com" <johnzabroski(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 27, 3:43�am, her...(a)btinternet.com.invalid wrote:
> > I'm looking for an object oriented software engineering textbook that's
> > about at the level of Lethbridge and Laganiere, but uses C# instead of
> > Java.
> >
> > Any leads?
>
> I would not recommend learning about object-oriented software
> engineering from a book about a language. It is probably better for
> you to state what your objectives are, rather than asking a poor
> question that is difficult to give a quality answer to.
>
> I am not familiar with Lethbridge and Laganiere's book, either. From
> amazon.com, it appears to contain the authors' academic work (Object
> Client-Server Framework) along with a brief coverage of patterns.
> Check out Design Patterns by Christopher Lasater for an in-depth
> coverage of design patterns using the C# language. I've not read this,
> but have seen many people recommend it.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I teach OOSE, and I've been using
L&L. The department now wants OOSE taught using C#. I'm looking for a
suitable textbook.
From: johnzabroski on
On May 28, 2:31 am, her...(a)btinternet.com.invalid wrote:
> In article
> <28179b3d-ba57-40f3-b7de-e8ed8f436...(a)b21g2000vbh.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  "johnzabro...(a)gmail.com" <johnzabro...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On May 27, 3:43 am, her...(a)btinternet.com.invalid wrote:
> > > I'm looking for an object oriented software engineering textbook that's
> > > about at the level of Lethbridge and Laganiere, but uses C# instead of
> > > Java.
>
> > > Any leads?
>
> > I would not recommend learning about object-oriented software
> > engineering from a book about a language.  It is probably better for
> > you to state what your objectives are, rather than asking a poor
> > question that is difficult to give a quality answer to.
>
> > I am not familiar with Lethbridge and Laganiere's book, either.  From
> > amazon.com, it appears to contain the authors' academic work (Object
> > Client-Server Framework) along with a brief coverage of patterns.
> > Check out Design Patterns by Christopher Lasater for an in-depth
> > coverage of design patterns using the C# language. I've not read this,
> > but have seen many people recommend it.
>
> I think you're misunderstanding me. I teach OOSE, and I've been using
> L&L. The department now wants OOSE taught using C#. I'm looking for a
> suitable textbook.

I understood you perfectly; my advise applies whether you are a
teacher or a student.

Where I appear to have erred is not being clearer:

It is grossly unlikely you will find somebody else who teaches out of
that same book, or has used that same book, AND also has an equivalent
recommendation for a C# book to teach OOSE. For example, if I know
C#, the only other Java books I'd probably own would be Effective Java
by Josh Bloch and Java Concurrency in Practice by Brian Goetz. If I
know Java, the only other C# books I'd probably own would be Effective
C#, More Effective C#, and Concurrent Programming on Windows.

You're fundamentally asking the wrong question. You're asking a
question with an extremely low percentage probability of good
feedback, and a high percentage probability your students may complain
the textbook stinks. You're setting yourself up to trust somebody's
recommendation without establishing what a good recommendation is.

What exactly is your syllabus? What programming level are your
students at? What are their typical problems? What do you think
needs to be the focus of a OOSE course? In addition, what does the
department think?
From: Marco on
On May 27, 11:31 pm, her...(a)btinternet.com.invalid wrote:
> In article
> <28179b3d-ba57-40f3-b7de-e8ed8f436...(a)b21g2000vbh.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  "johnzabro...(a)gmail.com" <johnzabro...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On May 27, 3:43 am, her...(a)btinternet.com.invalid wrote:
> > > I'm looking for an object oriented software engineering textbook that's
> > > about at the level of Lethbridge and Laganiere, but uses C# instead of
> > > Java.
>
> > > Any leads?
>
> > I would not recommend learning about object-oriented software
> > engineering from a book about a language.  It is probably better for
> > you to state what your objectives are, rather than asking a poor
> > question that is difficult to give a quality answer to.
>
> > I am not familiar with Lethbridge and Laganiere's book, either.  From
> > amazon.com, it appears to contain the authors' academic work (Object
> > Client-Server Framework) along with a brief coverage of patterns.
> > Check out Design Patterns by Christopher Lasater for an in-depth
> > coverage of design patterns using the C# language. I've not read this,
> > but have seen many people recommend it.
>
> I think you're misunderstanding me. I teach OOSE, and I've been using
> L&L. The department now wants OOSE taught using C#. I'm looking for a
> suitable textbook.

A suggestion why don't you just convert some of the code examples and
slide examples into C# so the students get exposure to several
languages.
By the publication date you probably should have updated UML 2 slides
as well.