From: Alfred Bovin on
"Roy" <brewer.roy(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>Visualizing quaternions By Andrew J. Hanson seems pretty good, but
>somewhat oriented toward computer graphics. Its available on Safari
>books on-line, if that matters.

I second that. A very interesting book.

From: Michael Plante on
Rune wrote:
>On 7 Mai, 19:26, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.now> wrote:
>> One day a few years ago, while browsing through Powell's Technical
Books

octonions:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octonion#Quotes=
>.
>>
>> So I ended up getting odds and ends from this book, that book, and not
>> few Wikipedia articles.
>>
>> But it'd be really nice to have a good book that deals with real-world
>> use of quaternions, particularly if it dwells on the subject of using
>> them as a handy representation for rotations in 3D space (which is the
>> biggest -- or perhaps only -- real world application for them). =A0Even
i=
>> the book is all about video game development; if it has a dynamite
>> chapter on quaternion math that'll be enough.
>>
>> Does anyone know of such a book? =A0I can put it on my Christmas
list...

>This one might work:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Quaternions-Rotation-Sequences-Applications-Aerospace=
>/dp/0691102988/ref=3Dsr_1_1?ie=3DUTF8&s=3Dbooks&qid=3D1273253364&sr=3D8-1
>
>I don't like it too much, as it mixes and matches matrix formulations
>and quaternion formulations somewhat awkwardly. It seems the author
>first wrote two texts, one based on matrices and one on quaternions,
>and then more or less shuffled the chapters without attempting to
>edit
>everything into one, comprehensive coherent text.
>
>Apart from that...

(Sorry about delay...just noticed I haven't gotten any comp.dsp digests
from google since May 5th...still none...was briefly scanning through "old"
threads and found this one.)

I have this text, and it is slow and understandable, with practical
examples. That said, my recollection is it has a fair number of relatively
inconsequential math mistakes, in the sense that the approach is right, so
you can just follow the derivation and fix them as you go along.

Michael

From: JNeudorf on
Not a book, but the current circuit cellar (#238) has an article where
the author uses quaternions for an inertial navigation system.

Jason