From: Patrick Stubbin on
Many eyars ago I used a database language called "PICK", this enabled you to
have a field with multiples entries in one record of a table. I read
somewehre that Access 2007 had this capability, I cant find areference to
this, can 2007 do this?

Rather than have a table referencing a second sub table

Pat
From: Jörn Bosse on
Am 03.06.2010 01:09, schrieb Patrick Stubbin:
> Many eyars ago I used a database language called "PICK", this enabled you to
> have a field with multiples entries in one record of a table. I read
> somewehre that Access 2007 had this capability, I cant find areference to
> this, can 2007 do this?
>
> Rather than have a table referencing a second sub table
>
> Pat

Hi,

in Access 2007 it´s posible to do so.
Create a table and add a new field as a combobox. Then you can choose:
Allow multiple entry yes/no.

Regards
Jörn
From: Access Developer on
Using the ACCDB form of databases, it is possible to define a multi-value
field. However, you will find it a "royal pain" when you want to use it
later in queries. That is why most of the experienced relational database
developers I know will suggest that you do what you then describe: a table
with a linked related table. Believe me, it will save you grief in the long
run.

Many are convinced that this capability was added only to be able to support
existing data in SharePoint Lists.

--
Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley

"Patrick Stubbin" <PatrickStubbin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B9441D12-E694-40CF-9531-27876FBDF59E(a)microsoft.com...

From: Jeff Boyce on
Patrick

I'm with Larry ... yes, you can, but WHY?!

Sticking more than one fact in one field means locating the one fact among
many in the field just got that much more difficult!

Far easier to use related tables ... and you seem to be describing a
one-to-many relationship. One record in your (main) table could have zero,
one, or many related records in a second table.

Good luck!

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Patrick Stubbin" <PatrickStubbin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B9441D12-E694-40CF-9531-27876FBDF59E(a)microsoft.com...
> Many eyars ago I used a database language called "PICK", this enabled you
> have a field with multiples entries in one record of a table. I read
> somewehre that Access 2007 had this capability, I cant find areference to
> this, can 2007 do this?
>
> Rather than have a table referencing a second sub table
>
> Pat

Pages: 1
Prev: Table of Contents for a Report
Next: hello!