From: David Mark on
On Dec 23, 6:24 pm, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtH...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> David Mark said the following on 12/23/2007 6:09 PM:

> >> Hmm. A "solution" that is still highly error-prone. Maybe you should
> >> Google this thread and read it - in its entirety - to find out why it is
> >> not as "simple" as you portray it to be. Just because an element has a
> >> "focus" property doesn't mean you can set focus to it.
>
> > No, but it is something that cannot be stipulated by the developer
> > (unlike the initial visibility, display and disabled states.)  I am
> > surprised to see "PointedEars" testing a method by boolean type
> > conversion though.  We've been over that.
>
> Nothing Thomas does surprises me anymore. And I do mean *nothing*.

> >> A *lot* more feature-testing. Especially in IE.
>
> > Which (as I think you previously mentioned) would be a complete waste
> > of time (unless you are trying to defend against user style sheets.)
>
> input{
> visibility: hidden;
> display: none;
>
> }
>
> Damn that was rude :)

If that is in a user style sheet and there are no rules defined in the
application's style sheets, then that would indeed have a rude
effect. The user would have to be a lunatic though.

> > And IIRC, IE doesn't support user style sheets.
>
> It does. Tools>Internet Options>General>Accessibility>Format Documents
> using my style sheet.

I don't think I've ever seen that.

> >> As it is, I can post code that will "break" even your "quick-hack" in at
> >> least 4 different ways. Two of which I have already posted.
>
> > The less said about that "quick-hack" the better.  The usual
> > translation for that is "bad-code."
>
> And he always tries to defend it by saying "I said it was a quick hack"
> which usually translates to "I didn't have a clue about it, just wanted
> to reply".

That certainly seems the case here. That was the worst "isVisible"
function I have ever seen this side of Prototype. And of course there
was no call for it (the thread should have ended long before that
post.)

From: Randy Webb on
David Mark said the following on 12/23/2007 6:37 PM:
> On Dec 23, 6:24 pm, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtH...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>> David Mark said the following on 12/23/2007 6:09 PM:

<snip>

>>> Which (as I think you previously mentioned) would be a complete waste
>>> of time (unless you are trying to defend against user style sheets.)
>> input{
>> visibility: hidden;
>> display: none;
>>
>> }
>>
>> Damn that was rude :)
>
> If that is in a user style sheet and there are no rules defined in the
> application's style sheets, then that would indeed have a rude
> effect. The user would have to be a lunatic though.

That is true. But it shows, very trivially, why it is so difficult to
determine if an input can be focused or not.

>>> And IIRC, IE doesn't support user style sheets.
>> It does. Tools>Internet Options>General>Accessibility>Format Documents
>> using my style sheet.
>
> I don't think I've ever seen that.

I found it a long time ago when searching for it in IE as a counterpart
to user defined stylesheets in Firefox.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
From: AKS on
On Dec 24, 4:58 am, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtH...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> ... it is so difficult to
> determine if an input can be focused or not.

Right conclusion, finally, for the thread named "Form onload focus".

From: Randy Webb on
AKS said the following on 12/24/2007 1:10 AM:
> On Dec 24, 4:58 am, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtH...(a)aol.com> wrote:
>
>> ... it is so difficult to
>> determine if an input can be focused or not.
>
> Right conclusion, finally, for the thread named "Form onload focus".

<sarcasm>
No, no, no. You use setActive(), remember?
</sarcasm>
From: AKS on
On Dec 24, 11:31 am, Randy Webb <HikksNotAtH...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> <sarcasm>
> No, no, no. You use setActive(), remember?
> </sarcasm>

Yes, I'll never forget. :)
The right conclusion and my solution (which is not intended for the
Code Worth Recommending Project ;) ) have nothing common. OK?

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: print(), iframe, IE 5/6
Next: Request.Form in Javascript