From: DavidC on
We just moved our SQL Server 2000 database to SQL Server 2008 using the exact
same security settings but on a new server. Now we are getting the following
asp.net error when trying to access the web site remotely.

Cannot open database requested in login 'Marshall'. Login fails.
Login failed for user 'sa'.

I have the connection string the same except I changed the server name. If
I access the server via SSMS and enter the sa and password, it opens fine.
How can I find out where the open connection problem is?
p.s. I added Network Service to the SQL database and it still failed. Thanks.
--
David
From: Brian Cryer on
"DavidC" <dlchase(a)lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message
> We just moved our SQL Server 2000 database to SQL Server 2008 using the
> exact
> same security settings but on a new server. Now we are getting the
> following
> asp.net error when trying to access the web site remotely.
>
> Cannot open database requested in login 'Marshall'. Login fails.
> Login failed for user 'sa'.
>
> I have the connection string the same except I changed the server name.
> If
> I access the server via SSMS and enter the sa and password, it opens fine.
> How can I find out where the open connection problem is?
> p.s. I added Network Service to the SQL database and it still failed.
> Thanks.

Two suggestions:

1. Does an exception get thrown? If so what are the details recorded in that
exception.

2. I know SQL Server 2008 can let you trace the SQL which is running, I
don't know whether this extends to login attempts but if it does it might
give you a clue to what the problem is.
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: DavidC on
Turned out to be a router problem that was routing the incoming request to
the old server. However, I will keep your "trace" idea for any future
problems. Thanks.
--
David