From: "Jack" on
Hello All,

Does anyone know of an open source tool for SEO that would check your
positioning in the search engines and then email a result?

Probably something that runs in cron and executes daily weekly etc?

Thanks!

Jack

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 13:02 -0400, Jack wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> Does anyone know of an open source tool for SEO that would check your
> positioning in the search engines and then email a result?
>
> Probably something that runs in cron and executes daily weekly etc?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Jack

It sounds like a simple question, but it isn't really. What search terms
do you want to check your positioning for? What locations (as many
search engines are putting a bias on results by location now)

Perhaps look at one of the visitor tracking solutions, which might be
able to give you an idea of the search terms people have used to find
your site, and then give the position based on that search? I know
Googles own analytics software does this, although the results there are
a little inaccurate.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Peter Lind on
On 29 June 2010 19:02, Jack <JackListMail(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> Does anyone know of an open source tool for SEO that would check your
> positioning in the search engines and then email a result?
>
> Probably something that runs in cron and executes daily weekly etc?

I've been working on http://github.com/Fake51/PLSEO which does page
tracking in a couple of search engines. Doesn't send out results but
you can wire that up pretty easily. It basically functions as a
library, you instantiate a class and tell it what you want, then wait
:)

If that's not quite what you're looking for, check PHPClasses, quite a
few things there as well, though nothing really great last I checked.

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>
WWW: http://plphp.dk / http://plind.dk
From: Manuel Lemos on
Hello,

on 06/29/2010 02:02 PM Jack said the following:
> Does anyone know of an open source tool for SEO that would check your
> positioning in the search engines and then email a result?
>
> Probably something that runs in cron and executes daily weekly etc?

There are a few PHP classes here for that purpose:

http://www.phpclasses.org/package/5554-PHP-Determine-the-position-of-a-keyword-in-Google.html

http://www.phpclasses.org/package/5209-PHP-Find-out-how-a-site-ranks-in-Google-for-a-keyword.html

You may also want to take a look at other SEO related PHP classes here:

http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/class/149.html

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

Find and post PHP jobs
http://www.phpclasses.org/jobs/

http://www.phpclasses.org/
From: "Jack" on
Hi Ashley,

Yes, I would have to have a list or pass parameters to tell it a domain name, some key words and then gather the results.

This is something similar to what Peter has posted and gives me a starting point I believe.

My thought is I would email myself the current position ( on that day ) for my domain and I would then know if changes or content which are on the site are helping to improve that position as well as kind of a warning when it’s slipping down the returned results which would mean were going to loose traffic….