From: Don on
I've checked the ports and even shutdown the firewalls. Openoffice
says file is locked by an unknown user, and when saved as a new file
complains of permissions.

Could the recent nfs util update have changed something?

Don
From: john on
On May 15, 1:34 pm, Don <annou...(a)acaciart.com> wrote:
> I've checked the ports and even shutdown the firewalls. Openoffice
> says file is locked by an unknown user, and when saved as a new file
> complains of permissions.
>
> Could the recent nfs util update have changed something?
>
> Don

Is the nfs partition mounted read/write?

John C.
From: Don on
On May 18, 1:02 pm, "j...(a)wexfordpress.com" <j...(a)wexfordpress.com>
wrote:
> On May 15, 1:34 pm, Don <annou...(a)acaciart.com> wrote:
>
> > I've checked the ports and even shutdown the firewalls. Openoffice
> > says file is locked by an unknown user, and when saved as a new file
> > complains of permissions.
>
> > Could the recent nfs util update have changed something?
>
> > Don
>
> Is the nfs partition mounted read/write?
>
> John C.

Yes it is mounted read/write. It has worked fine for several years and
just recently quit.
by the man pages nfs is set up correctly. If no one else is having
this problem, must be me.

Don
From: mickski on
On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:59:09 -0700, Don wrote:

> On May 18, 1:02 pm, "j...(a)wexfordpress.com" <j...(a)wexfordpress.com>
> wrote:
>> On May 15, 1:34 pm, Don <annou...(a)acaciart.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I've checked the ports and even shutdown the firewalls. Openoffice
>> > says file is locked by an unknown user, and when saved as a new file
>> > complains of permissions.
>>
>> > Could the recent nfs util update have changed something?
>>
>> > Don
>>
>> Is the nfs partition mounted read/write?
>>
>> John C.
>
> Yes it is mounted read/write. It has worked fine for several years and
> just recently quit.
> by the man pages nfs is set up correctly. If no one else is having this
> problem, must be me.
>
> Don

I seem to remember openoffice doesn't play nice with nfs v3 file locking.
I had to go to nfs v4 to get openoffice and nfs to work together. I would
suggest searching openoffice.org for "nfs v3 and file locking" . Hope
this helps.
From: Don on
On May 19, 2:01 am, mickski <micksk...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 May 2010 17:59:09 -0700, Don wrote:
> > On May 18, 1:02 pm, "j...(a)wexfordpress.com" <j...(a)wexfordpress.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Is the nfs partition mounted read/write?
>
> >> John C.
>
> > Yes it is mounted read/write. It has worked fine for several years and
> > just recently quit.
> > by the man pages nfs is set up correctly. If no one else is having this
> > problem, must be me.
>
> > Don
>
> I seem to remember openoffice doesn't play nice with nfs v3 file locking.
> I had to go to nfs v4 to get openoffice and nfs to work together. I would
> suggest searching openoffice.org for "nfs v3 and file locking" . Hope
> this helps.

Thanks, I found it. NFSv4 is disabled in slackware's nfsutil package
so nfsv4 is not an option for me.

In the startup script for openoffice called soffice I commented out
the lines

SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING=1
export SAL_ENABLE_FILE_LOCKING

and in the export file for the mount I added no_auth_nlm.

Its all working now

Don