From: Esra Sdrawkcab on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 05:39:49 +0100, thanatoid <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid>
wrote:

> 98 Guy <98(a)Guy.com> wrote in news:4C6079CC.57632CFD(a)Guy.com:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> I will say that:
>>
>> - Firefox 2.0.0.20 *IS STILL* a valid option for win-98
>> users - Firefox should have been used by Win-9x/me users
>> instead of
>> IE6 for the past 4 years
>
> Totally agreed.
>
>> - If not Firefox, then I don't know what. Perhaps some
>> version of Netscape Navigator 7/8/9.
>
> I like Opera, you don't. Fine.
>
>> - It's my impression that Opera as a browser wasn't very
>> good 4 years ago.
>
> Perhaps you should try a current (10.00 or above version and
> then criticize it.
>
>> Anyone running win-9x/me and just now moving away from IE6
>> today could go to Firefox 2.0.0.20 or what-ever version of
>> Opera will run on win-9x/me. Or they could install
>> KernelEx and run Firefox 3.x.
>
> Correct. And IMHO, Opera is the best option.
>
> Now, back to the KF you go, buddy. Cheers.

Why? he responded without any antagonism that I spotted.
He favours Firefox 2 over IE6, and I won't disagree there.
He seems unwilling to look at Opera, but that's his loss.

--
"Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"
From: thanatoid on
"Esra Sdrawkcab" <admin(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 05:39:49 +0100, thanatoid
> <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid> wrote:

<SNIP>

>> Now, back to the KF you go, buddy. Cheers.
>>

> Why? he responded without any antagonism that I spotted.
> He favours Firefox 2 over IE6, and I won't disagree there.
> He seems unwilling to look at Opera, but that's his loss.

Read the last two years of posts in this group.
And learn to snip.

--
Any mental activity is easy if it need not be subjected to
reality.
From: Esra Sdrawkcab on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 03:56:12 +0100, thanatoid <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid>
wrote:

> "Esra Sdrawkcab" <admin(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 05:39:49 +0100, thanatoid
>> <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>>> Now, back to the KF you go, buddy. Cheers.
>>>

>> Why? he responded without any antagonism that I spotted.
>> He favours Firefox 2 over IE6, and I won't disagree there.
>> He seems unwilling to look at Opera, but that's his loss.
>
> Read the last two years of posts in this group.
> And learn to snip.

Ok, I now realise there's been a lot of grief between you two, but there
seems to be very few folk posting about W98 these days. Live & let live I
say.

On topic: Winimp was my favourite extractor.

--
"Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"
From: Esra Sdrawkcab on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 00:31:05 +0100, thanatoid <waiting(a)the.exit.invalid>
wrote:

<SNIP>

> New topic:
no, it's back to thread title!

> So HOW is Opera with mail and Usenet?????
> I have never seen anyone use it for this before...

Seems OK to me, obviously!
only minor gripe is that it doesn't display x-face

you need a newer dll for transparency - I installed it and it stopped
complaining - I don't remember what it was now.

Ah scroogle on "opera windows 98 missing dll"
shows it's msmsgs.dll

here's a handy writeup:
http://www.lotterypost.com/help/195898

or support snipping (smiley face)
I haven't used it's newer features (Unite, torrent client) so can't
comment on them (other than hey, I didn't ask for new features!)

--
"Nuns! NUNS! Reverse! Reverse!"