From: John H Meyers on
On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 18:15:58 -0500:

> 'lim(\GS(m=1,n,1/X+X),n=+\oo)' ==> [Syntax error at last 'n']
>
> This illustrates a previously mentioned issue, which is
> that there is NO valid RPL 'expression' syntax for LIMIT[lim]
> which *names* the variable being varied
> [the RPL compiler is deficient here]

It turns out that the RPL compiler issue
[refuses to accept valid syntax 'LIMIT(expr1,expr2)']
is a previously reported bug of more than a year ago:
http://bugs.hpcalc.org/long_list.cgi?buglist=136

Even though the ALG-mode compiler and EQW
both accept the same syntax,
that bug is marked "Resolution: WONTFIX"

Is it really not possible to accept "any expression"
(including just a name or a constant) in *both* arguments?
[this would allow the expression var=value in second argument]

The only work-around for editing a given single formula is
to use EQW to edit the formula (which is a bit of a pain, no?);
for a program or list containing such a formula, however,
there is no work-around at all, as of ROM 2.09
(or as of however long WONTFIX lasts :)
and thus you can not edit or compile such a program or list!

Of lesser importance, but by way of explanation:

> 'lim(\GS(X=1,n,1/X+X),n=+\oo)' ==> Syntax error at last 'n'
> 'lim(\GS(X=1,n,1/X+X),+\oo)' ==> '(2*Psi(n+1)-(2*Psi(1)-(n^2+n)))/2'
>
> Well, how can a *limit* as n -> +\oo depend on a particular value of 'n'?
> The delivered answer is actually '\GS(X=1,n,1/X+X)' and not its *limit*

This is only a natural consequence of LIMIT (lim)
accepting '+\oo' as the second argument,
and interpreting it as the value of the variable named in 'VX';
so long as 'VX' doesn't contain 'n' then the given result is returned
(after 'n' STOVX you get the title of this thread instead :)

[r->] [OFF]
From: Chris Smith on
John H Meyers <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> > Good question. The ratio test is indeterminate (the limit is one), but
> > the series doesn't appear to be converging to anything as n gets up to
> > the 1 million range. I'd guess the correct answer is +inf.
>
> The first thread ("CAS oddity") on this topic omitted an important detail,
> which is -- what was the summation variable?
>
> If we're summing X+1/X from X=0 to infinity, the result is obviously
> '+\oo'

Apparently, there were several sources of ambiguity. The post I
responded to said "sigma from 1 to n of one over x plus x". I
interpreted that as the sum from x=1 to infinity of 1/(x+x). You seem
you have read the sum from ?=1 to infinity of (1/x)+x. It turns out
that both diverge, but the first is a little less obvious, hence the
uncertainly in my earlier post. (That also explains why I didn't
understand acl's response at all.)

--
Chris Smith
From: acl on

John H Meyers wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:23:47 -0500, acl wrote:
>
> > There is practically no limit to how pointless an exercise in pedantry
> > this can be made into. But, somehow, I don't think this was what was
> > being asked.
>
> I didn't think so either,
> until I reread the original post of this thread, which says:
>
> "Anyone know what causes this message?
> I get when trying to find the limit as n approaches infinity
> of sigma from 1 to n of one over x plus x."
>
> He did literally use two different variables there (n vs. x)

No disagreement. I was joking :)

> Using ROM 2.09 (VER 4.20060602):
>
> 'lim(\GS(m=1,n,1/X+X),n=+\oo)' ==> [Syntax error at last 'n']
>
> This illustrates a previously mentioned issue, which is
> that there is NO valid RPL 'expression' syntax for LIMIT(lim)
> which *names* the variable being varied
> [the RPL compiler is deficient here]

I didn't know that.

From: acl on

Chris Smith wrote:
> John H Meyers <jhmeyers(a)nomail.invalid> wrote:
> > > Good question. The ratio test is indeterminate (the limit is one), but
> > > the series doesn't appear to be converging to anything as n gets up to
> > > the 1 million range. I'd guess the correct answer is +inf.
> >
> > The first thread ("CAS oddity") on this topic omitted an important detail,
> > which is -- what was the summation variable?
> >
> > If we're summing X+1/X from X=0 to infinity, the result is obviously
> > '+\oo'
>
> Apparently, there were several sources of ambiguity. The post I
> responded to said "sigma from 1 to n of one over x plus x". I
> interpreted that as the sum from x=1 to infinity of 1/(x+x). You seem
> you have read the sum from ?=1 to infinity of (1/x)+x. It turns out
> that both diverge, but the first is a little less obvious, hence the
> uncertainly in my earlier post. (That also explains why I didn't
> understand acl's response at all.)

Actually, you're right! I also read it as "... from x=1 to $\infty$ of
x+1/x"... In which case, though, I think my post does make some sense
(at least to the extend I usually do make sense, which doesn't say
much, it must be admitted).

But x<x+1/x (for positive real x), so the sum from x=1 to infty of
x+1/x is, term by term, larger than a sum which obviously diverges.

Cheers.

From: acl on

acl wrote:
> > Apparently, there were several sources of ambiguity. The post I
> > responded to said "sigma from 1 to n of one over x plus x". I
> > interpreted that as the sum from x=1 to infinity of 1/(x+x). You seem
> > you have read the sum from ?=1 to infinity of (1/x)+x. It turns out
> > that both diverge, but the first is a little less obvious, hence the
> > uncertainly in my earlier post. (That also explains why I didn't
> > understand acl's response at all.)
> >

> Actually, you're right! I also read it as "... from x=1 to $\infty$ of
> x+1/x"... In which case, though, I think my post does make some sense
> (at least to the extend I usually do make sense, which doesn't say
> much, it must be admitted).
>
> But x<x+1/x (for positive real x), so the sum from x=1 to infty of
> x+1/x is, term by term, larger than a sum which obviously diverges.

Oh, I also switched notation between the previous posts and mine (the
one replying to yours). I switched from sum(x+1/x,x=1..infinity) to
sum(n+1/n,n=1..infinity).

I suppose this does not enhance the clarity of my writings.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Bode plot program?
Next: which SD card should i use