From: Lance on
I work at a large university in a mixed use building (classrooms, labs,
offices). Our current Enterasys RoamAbout-based B/G wireless system is
overwhelmed when classes are in session. It's no wonder since there's
only perhaps 8 WAPs for the entire building and probably 500 students
and 200 office workers with smartphones, laptops, and few rogue WAPs and
whatever else competing for wireless access.

Try to get a connection with your laptop - forget it. If you're very
lucky and get one, hurry up and get what you need fast 'cuz you'll get
dropped after a few minutes. Oh, did I say fast? Sorry, it'll take 1-2
minutes just to get to Google's homepage.

Fortunately, or perhaps unfortunately, our IT people are upgrading the
entire building to Aruba A-105 WAPs. On my low occupancy floor alone I
see 5 WAPs installed (we have one RoamAbout now).

Does anyone have an opinion on how well the Aruba A-105 will operate in
this kind of high density, high use environment?

Lance
*****
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Lance
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> Does anyone have an opinion on how well the Aruba A-105 will operate in
> this kind of high density, high use environment?

The model of access point barely matters if they're badly sited. However,
you're adding a whole load more channels by using those A + G APs, so once
those are installed, I predict a sudden surge in popularity of A-band USB
sticks :-)

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
21:39:53 up 4 days, 10:41, 5 users, load average: 0.00, 0.15, 0.27

From: Lance on
alexd wrote the following on 6/24/2010 13:44:
> Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Lance
> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> Does anyone have an opinion on how well the Aruba A-105 will operate in
>> this kind of high density, high use environment?
>
> The model of access point barely matters if they're badly sited. However,
> you're adding a whole load more channels by using those A + G APs, so once
> those are installed, I predict a sudden surge in popularity of A-band USB
> sticks :-)

Good thought alexd, connectivity is bound to be better down in the A-band.

Thanks for your comments.

Lance
*****
From: Char Jackson on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:18:31 -0700, Lance <lhill(a)suc.edu> wrote:

>alexd wrote the following on 6/24/2010 13:44:
>> Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Lance
>> chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>>
>>> Does anyone have an opinion on how well the Aruba A-105 will operate in
>>> this kind of high density, high use environment?
>>
>> The model of access point barely matters if they're badly sited. However,
>> you're adding a whole load more channels by using those A + G APs, so once
>> those are installed, I predict a sudden surge in popularity of A-band USB
>> sticks :-)
>>

>Good thought alexd, connectivity is bound to be better down in the A-band.
>
>Thanks for your comments.
>
>Lance
>*****

Or *up* in the A band, even.