From: tshad on
If I had a query with columns surrounded by IsNull, would that slow the
query down?

For example if I had something.like:

SELECT Phone= ISNULL(e.Phone, m.Phone),
Name = ISNULL(e.Name,m.Name)
FROM Employees e
LEFT JOIN Managers m

Would that have an affect on the query?

Thanks,

Tom

From: Plamen Ratchev on
The use of ISNULL will have some effect on performance. As usual, best to test with your data (just run the query once
using ISNULL, and then without).

--
Plamen Ratchev
http://www.SQLStudio.com
From: Uri Dimant on
Hi
> If I had a query with columns surrounded by IsNull, would that slow the
> query down?
No. I do not see ON clause in nyour query as well as WHERE condition, or was
it only for demonstartion?

From: tshad on

"Plamen Ratchev" <Plamen(a)SQLStudio.com> wrote in message
> The use of ISNULL will have some effect on performance. As usual, best to
> test with your data (just run the query once using ISNULL, and then
> without).

But in this case, the ISNULLs are using either on or the other as a value
based on whether the first one is null or not.

Is there a better way to do this or would the difference be negligable? In
this select there are about 15 ISNULLS (one for each column) because this is
FULL OUTER JOIN. So it is saying if it was null in the first table use the
value in the second table.

I had heard using functions in the select statement would prevent the
optimizer from choosing the correct plan.

Thanks,

Tom

From: tshad on

"Uri Dimant" <urid(a)iscar.co.il> wrote in message
> Hi
>> If I had a query with columns surrounded by IsNull, would that slow the
>> query down?
> No. I do not see ON clause in nyour query as well as WHERE condition, or
> was it only for demonstartion?

Just a demonstration, just showing the function I was concerned with and
whether that would prevent the optimizer from choosing the correct plan.

Thanks,

Tom