From: Bob McClellan on
Can anyone suggest the best way to organize Projects and Solutions.
I work alone as opposed to.. with a team of developers. I try to save all
stored procedures, UDF's, Triggers and DDL as
..sql files in projects and solutions in SSMS. Still... I frequently find
myself searching solutions via explorer
looking for files for projects I need to revisit. I'm just curious what
best practices others have found to ease
the frustration when trying to find code you may have worked on many
months..or even years ago.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Bob.

From: Geoff Schaller on
Bob.

There is no good way. Ask 20 developers and they will give you 20
answers. Documentation is the key. We have libraries that are shared
amongst multiple application sets and each application set has its own
solution file and probably 20+ projects per solution (each project being
an executable thing). Many of these are common to multiple projects but
we use Visual Source Safe over the top of all this to manage change
control and versioning.

Go to a few conferences (Tech Ed, Remix, user groups even). You will get
good ideas from these forums.

Geoff Schaller
Software Objectives

From: Bob McClellan on