From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul> wrote:
> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi(a)onet.eu> wrote in news:7mkng0iw3b-
> A2A(a)willie.huge.strangled.net:
>
> [..]
>
>> As root send one message in verbose mode (smtp session tracking) with
>> tracking map lookups (auth table lookups):
>>
>> (echo subject: test; echo)|/usr/sbin/sendmail -d60.5 -v _recipient-
> email_
>
> Andrew, I do not quite understand this, give me the command from the root
> prompt as such:
>
> #(echo subject: test; echo)|/usr/sbin/sendmail -d60.5 -v _recipient-email_
>
> Is this what you are saying to do?

(echo subject: test; echo) - it constructs "very trivial email message"
with one header and header-body separator
-d60.5 - track map lookups (including auth map looups)
-v - turn on verbose mode (includes tracking smtp session)

/usr/sbin/sendmail -d60.5 -v _recipient-email_
sendmail email read over standard input (stdin) to recipient address
_recipient-email_ in verbose mode with map lookups tracking

What you need to see is:
a) AUTH mechanism offered by the remote server
b) auth table lookups sendmail does

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
There are three things I always forget.
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Ohmster <root(a)dev.nul.invalid> wrote:
> Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi(a)onet.eu> wrote in
>

>> As root send one message in verbose mode (smtp session tracking) with
>> tracking map lookups (auth table lookups):
>>
>> (echo subject: test; echo)|/usr/sbin/sendmail -d60.5 -v
>> _recipient-email_
>
> Oh wow, you still with me Adam? Great! Like most folks, I have other
> stuff to do but really want to get this issue solved. Thanks for hanging
> in there.
>
> Wow, that command sure outputted a lot! I really do not know what all
> this does or means, I hope that you or someone can interpret it for me.
> Thanks. Output below...
> [...]

My "ommision" (missing -Am command line switch):
(echo subject: test; echo)|/usr/sbin/sendmail -d60.5 -v -Am _recipient-email_

-Am Use sendmail.cf even if the operation mode indicates an initial mail submission.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
Some men rob you with a six-gun -- others with a fountain pen.
From: Ohmster on

> My "ommision" (missing -Am command line switch):
> (echo subject: test; echo)|/usr/sbin/sendmail -d60.5 -v -Am
> _recipient-email_
>
> -Am Use sendmail.cf even if the operation mode indicates an initial
> mail submission.

My mistake, I changed the Linux box to a static IP for the router, allows
me to put the box in the DMZ for server use. At the time I did the test,
my network had no outside access, duh!

[root(a)ohmster ~]# (echo subject: test; echo)|/usr/sbin/sendmail -d60.5 -v
-Am _recipient-email_
map_lookup(dequote, root, %0=root) => NOT FOUND (0)
map_lookup(dequote, _recipient-email_, %0=_recipient-email_) => NOT FOUND
(0)
_recipient-email_... User unknown
map_lookup(dequote, root, %0=root) => NOT FOUND (0)
root... aliased to ohmster
map_lookup(dequote, ohmster, %0=ohmster) => NOT FOUND (0)
map_lookup(dequote, root, %0=root) => NOT FOUND (0)
map_lookup(dequote, MAILER-DAEMON, %0=MAILER-DAEMON) => NOT FOUND (0)
ohmster... Connecting to local...
ohmster... Sent
[root(a)ohmster ~]#

Came back through sendmail on the system as:

The original message was received at Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:58:01 -0500
from root(a)localhost

_recipient-email_
(reason: 550 5.1.1 User unknown)

550 5.1.1 _recipient-email_... User unknown

And I still get this kind of return mail when I try to send outside mail:

The original message was received at Sun, 14 Feb 2010 23:40:41 -0500
from localhost [127.0.0.1]

<theohmster(a)comcast.net>
(reason: 550 5.1.0 Authentication required)

.... while talking to smtp.g.comcast.net.:
>>> MAIL From:<ohmster(a)ohmster.com> SIZE=838
<<< 550 5.1.0 Authentication required
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I did find and correct a glaring omission though. In my client-info auth
file, I did have my old password and not my current one. I changed it and
did the makemap hash on the client-info.db and thought for SURE it would
work now. Nope. Not at all. Yes I did restart sendmail. I have my
user/pass combo in my /etc/mail/auth/client-info file AND my
/etc/mail/access file. I wonder if this would cause a problem? Anyway, I
really need some help with this auth issue and might have to start a new
thread, this one is getting long in the tooth and had changed topic
already. Thanks.

--
~Ohmster | ohmster59 /a/t/ gmail dot com
Put "messageforohmster" in message body